cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

electric RV appliances

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I just watched a video from a large RV dealer. Not sure what all the brands are they carry,but he said he's noticing a trend for 2024 units that some manufacturers are not offering propane appliances. The units have 120/12 volt refridgerators and electric range tops and water heaters. I guess that's ok if you always have electric hookups and the electric never goes out. I love the freedom my propane appliances give me. I don't boondock a lot,but when I do I can go 4 or 5 days with my dual batteries and propane. Occassionally we may stop at a rest area and use the stove to heat up a meal and in colder weather,run the furnace to keep the camper warm. I know there's a big push to eliminate fossil fuels,but it seems that propane and camping have done the job for a long time and I don't see this changing in my lifetime. But I'm 71 so that may not be that long.
32 REPLIES 32

dedmiston
Most of our trips are dry camping, so all-electric would be bad for us. It would be ridiculous to have to run a gas generator to power electric appliances when LP is such a great option.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Not positive, but I think all electric MHs have been offered for some time now.
We have lots of solar and battery capacity, a residential fridge and one of the 3 A/Cs is also a heat pump. But we still have propane stove/oven, water heater and furnace. While we could manage (even while boondocking) without propane, I really wouldn't want to. By the way, we are full-timers, so we have to think about all 4 seasons when it comes to heating and cooling.
A lot of this can be blamed on the push to eliminate fossil fuels which is ridiculous to begin with.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I, too, like the idea of having propane. On our last trip out, my electric element gave out on the water heater (my fault). Thankfully we had the propane to heat the water. Yeah, we could have hit the shower facilities but a few of us in our house rather use our own.