cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Tongue Jacks

Fotozeman
Explorer
Explorer
I need a new tongue jack, and thought I would upgrade to an electric one. Any suggestions as to the plus vs minus of hard wiring the 12v, or going with a jack that has a 7 way plug. I realize that with a 7 way plug, I almost always have to have my tow vehicle right there to operate the jack. I'm just not sure if this is convenient, although I really like the idea of being able to tap into that power system.
7 REPLIES 7

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a refurbished Ultrafab and it was wired to the battery. Just traded in the TT I had it on. It was a great buy. adventurerv.net ultrafab 3502http://www.adventurerv.net/ultra-fab-3502-electric-power-tongue-jack-3500-refurbished-p-11522.html

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Wire directly to battery and go with a minimum 3500 lb jack.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Mines wired directly to the battery. I can't think of any reason I'd want to have it run from the TV. Just installed it a couple of weeks ago. It's an AtlWood 3500 and works like a champ purchased from Amazon.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
I'd wire right to the battery. Saves time during hookup; you won't have to back your tow vehicle up close enough to plug in, then raise the tongue, then back up again to hitch. You'd just raise it up, back it up, and hitch.
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

Fotozeman
Explorer
Explorer
They have them available with a 7 way plug so you can plug it right in to your tow vehicle plug. Seems convenient to me.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
Mine is wired direct to the battery through a 30Amp fuse; It woks like a charm.

Mine is too. Never seen one wired any other way, but I guess anything is possible.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is wired direct to the battery through a 30Amp fuse; It woks like a charm.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)