cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Emerald Ash Borer profit?

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard about the threat of the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) for a few years now and I understand the need lessen the spread of the species, but are some CG's jumping on the bandwagon to make a profit?

The county where I live (Jackson County, Missouri) placed a ban on outside firewood and sells firewood at the local CG's....granted, they don't have a big markup on the wood, but how is their wood any different from the wood I just brought from my yard less than 20 miles away? It also bugs me a bit that the Missouri Extension Office doesn't list my county as EAB "quarantined", so how does the county supersede the state's recommendation on firewood movement?
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran
35 REPLIES 35

Moved from ATC

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
So how do parks and CGs know they are not bringing in infested wood to sell? Do they have entomologists or someone from an extension office checking? I believe only ash trees are the effected, but I'm not sure what type of wood they are selling at my local CG.

In some parts of the country there are infestations of 'pine bark beetles' so it's not just ash.

In the quarantine areas (and surrounding areas) only firewood that has been certified by the USDA can be brought into county, state and federal parks/campgrounds.

If you want to bring your own wood, get cut-offs from a construction site or buy certified wood (it's labeled) from a dealer.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a park owner, nor have I ever even worked as a workcamper at one. But I would hate to be the guy who has to find a way to keep a park open and show a meager profit.
Hey, I'm like everyone else. I want to have full hookups and pay $10 a night but realistically I know that can't happen except in the rare situations and we see what a $10 a night campground looks like ๐Ÿ™‚
So they make a quarter on a cold Coke and a couple bucks on a bundle of wood. Nobodys getting rich...YMMV
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
So how do parks and CGs know they are not bringing in infested wood to sell? Do they have entomologists or someone from an extension office checking? I believe only ash trees are the effected, but I'm not sure what type of wood they are selling at my local CG.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously the authorities have no way of knowing where you brought the wood from. Seems like a small price to pay to protect old trees. If they in fact make a small profit, so be it.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having watched a BUNCH of beautiful old Ash trees get cut down in our local park due to Borers - the fear is well-based, IMO. When you lose trees that are 50+ years old - it's not like they can be replaced; other than maybe our grandkids can enjoy the shade from the replacement saplings some day ......
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!