cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Emerald Ash Borer profit?

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard about the threat of the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) for a few years now and I understand the need lessen the spread of the species, but are some CG's jumping on the bandwagon to make a profit?

The county where I live (Jackson County, Missouri) placed a ban on outside firewood and sells firewood at the local CG's....granted, they don't have a big markup on the wood, but how is their wood any different from the wood I just brought from my yard less than 20 miles away? It also bugs me a bit that the Missouri Extension Office doesn't list my county as EAB "quarantined", so how does the county supersede the state's recommendation on firewood movement?
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran
35 REPLIES 35

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Iraqvet05 wrote:
So how do parks and CGs know they are not bringing in infested wood to sell? Do they have entomologists or someone from an extension office checking? I believe only ash trees are the effected, but I'm not sure what type of wood they are selling at my local CG.

Firstly, the Emerald Ash Borer does NOT infest just Ash trees, although it seems to have a preference for them. It attacks all hardwoods, oaks, hickories, you name it.

And no, they don't have somebody to inspect a given load of firewood, they rely on quarantines. When EABs are reported in a county, that county goes on the list, and firewood suppliers/buyers are supposed to not ship wood from quarantined counties.

Here in Virginia, EAB is in the northern counties, up by DC, but not down here in south central Virginia. I am not looking forward to the spread of that pest to our area.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We have found it much easier and neater to buy from someplace local. You can't move wood around here on the West coast unless it is in some kind of package. Most stores have the wood wrapped in plastic with some kind of handle.

Five bucks a day isn't all that bad and my Grandkids are worth it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I type this we have 10 infected ash trees on our block between 6 houses. all on the city parkway. there are 7 more on the next block! they are marked to be removed and I won`t be using any wood as firewood, not even in my backyard. and no one around here has an ash tree on their property at all. for some reason only the villages purchase the Ash trees. I`m guessing because they were cheap. Now we just need to decide what type of tree to plant in place of them! I personally never liked the look of an Ash tree, not that they should all die, but I will not miss them!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
There is also a treatment for emerald ash borer.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

westend
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:
hone eagle wrote:
Emerald ash borer is a insect right? With wings right .....................?

just saying

a example of, lack of knowledgeโ€ฆ

just sayingโ€ฆ

Then why are they everywhere?
Jumped a 1 mile ash break between two great lakes and now extend to the limit of the ash trees range,that is as far north as they grow ?
Wind, birds, dirt on our tires there is never going to be a way to stop nature from filling every and any nich it can.
Name one species we have stopped .........ever?
purple loose strife?
zebra mussels?
gobey?
quagga mussels?
asian carp? -hint a 40 pounder was caught last week on the grand in ontario ,and we worry about the canal in Chicago.

Worth a try ? yes for sure , but when its futile admit it and use the effort for somewhere where it can make a difference
This might be a good method if eradication was the goal. Most plans put in place by agencies are to thwart the spread, however, and not aimed at eradication. The goal is to slow the spread of EAB, allowing us to enjoy our Ash trees for a few more years.

Just judging by experience with Dutch Elm, there were trees that were spared from DE and are still living. They were few and far between but made it. Also, after the major infestations had passed through an area, new Elms grew and were unaffected by DE. Emerald Ash disease may prove the same. The vector for disease is similar.

FWIW, I'm doing some treatment for EAB disease for a few folks that really want to save their Ash trees. It involves using a systemic insecticide and root feeding. There are new pesticides coming on the market and trials are proving successful.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
hone eagle wrote:

just saying

just sayingโ€ฆ

Then why are they everywhere?
Jumped a 1 mile ash break between two great lakes and now extend to the limit of the ash trees range,that is as far north as they grow ?
Wind, birds, dirt on our tires there is never going to be a way to stop nature from filling every and any nich it can.
Name one species we have stopped .........ever?
purple loose strife?
zebra mussels?
gobey?
quagga mussels?
asian carp? -hint a 40 pounder was caught last week on the grand in ontario ,and we worry about the canal in Chicago.

Worth a try ? yes for sure , but when its futile admit it and use the effort for somewhere where it can make a difference
Newmar 34rsks 2008

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:

just saying

just sayingโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
We have 5 Infected Emerals Ash trees left here in our condo project. They are on the part between sidewalk and street and are the responsibility of the city. They don't have the funds to remove them and we can't because they are city property. We have 22 acres and a lot of trees so we have a tree trimmer here on a regular basis.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

just saying
Newmar 34rsks 2008

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get pallets from work...we throw away a couple every day. The hardwood ones go in the woodstove, the pine pallets (which are mostly Heineken beer pallets) are for campfires. Anyone asks...it's not firewood, it's lumber scraps.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
J2 wrote:
it is money making when kid across the road from the campground can not sell wood from his land.

In some places the kid could be arrested for selling non-certified firewood.

It happened in Beach Park, Illinois when a guy was selling wood from the ash tree that had died in his back yard due to EAB.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

J2
Explorer
Explorer
it is money making when kid across the road from the campground can not sell wood from his land.

Taz_23
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Wisconsin there is a law against transporting fire wood more than fifty miles from where it was cut, because of infestations. In southern Wisconsin they have the Emerald Ash borer and the state is trying to keep it from infesting new areas. The campgounds dont know where the wood came from when someone shows up so as a precaution they ban folks from bringing it in with them. We keep our trailer on a seasonal site in northern Wisconsin and a couple of years ago they evicted a camper from the south who was bringing his own ash firewood from southern Wisconsin. He brought it up to his site because his ash trees died so he figured to burn them at his camp fires DUHHHH.
YOU CANT FIX STUPID!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Tachdriver wrote:
So does the emerald ash borer reside in maple wood?
No, the borers only reside in Ash. Not to say a mature beetle doesn't take a rest on a different species of tree once and awhile but they deposit their eggs into the bark of Ash. It is the larval state of the insect that does the damage, drilling through the bark and the trees circulatory layers, killing the tree.

I heat my shop with wood, been doing it for many years and I have a pretty good stack of wood still piled. For the minimal expense of buying local firewood, I don't take any of my stack with me to camp. The risk is greater than the reward.

FWIW, I worked on tree crews during the Dutch Elm disease days and it was tragic to see the amount of Elm trees removed. A lot of these trees were a major part of their neighborhood and when they were gone, the whole community seemed to suffer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton