cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Entrance door malfunction

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
Whew!, I unlocked the MH this morning to load up for upcoming visit to see grandkids and wife closed door as she entered (it was 24 degrees this morning), well lo and behold the door would not open..thank God we have a class C so were able to access entrance. After about an hour or so of frustration and figuring and planning I was finally able to dismantle the entire mechanism. The "slide" that is made of POT METAL broke and thus rendered the door inoperable. Thank goodness the local RV parts dude had a new unit it stock...fixed and now can still be on schedule to see grands. Just an FYI, if it should happen to you HAVE A PLAN.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country
9 REPLIES 9

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming there are no in-use patents, it is tempting to go to a place like Solid Concepts, take one of the handles, make precise 3D measurements of it, then have the metal shop make a laser sintered Iconel replica of all the core parts. It would function exactly the same... except that the metal used would be a lot more durable. If it is good enough for a rocket exhaust chamber, it is good enough to function day to day on a door. Of course, this wouldn't be cheap, but it would ensure the problem went away for good.

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I'll have to take a look at that before it happens to me.
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jergeod wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Been locked out by not just one of those locks but two. Both in incidents on the road that needed er repair..$$$$ both times.

They have a million years inventory of that lock with the pot metal part that breaks. And stores have them in stock and sell them.

I opened up the second lock a few weeks after it was installed and yup it was the same pot metal.

I took that part out taped it and the opening in the door and use the lock with only one lock functioning. I am not in the mood for it to happen again.

Is it the dead bolt that breaks?

No. That's why I didn't have a problem disabling the regular key lock. I have the deadbolt part working.

I'm sure when I go to sell it buyers are going to have a problem with it but I 'know' I will never get locked out again and have to pay for another lock! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Been locked out by not just one of those locks but two. Both in incidents on the road that needed er repair..$$$$ both times.

They have a million years inventory of that lock with the pot metal part that breaks. And stores have them in stock and sell them.

I opened up the second lock a few weeks after it was installed and yup it was the same pot metal.

I took that part out taped it and the opening in the door and use the lock with only one lock functioning. I am not in the mood for it to happen again.

Is it the dead bolt that breaks?
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
jeeperdude10 wrote:
Just an FYI, if it should happen to you HAVE A PLAN.

If you don't have a plan, hope for Dumb Luck!:B

It's nice when a plan comes together!, have fun! Glad it worked out.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
We were locked in our class A MH once, and only one door.
Called a dealer where we were and they said to come in when we got there. I told her that we could not get out. So I called when we arrived and three service guys came out with huge smiles on their faces. Two helped the third to climb in out dinette window, he had them bring out a drill and he got the door open.
I purchased a new lock from them and installed it myself. They did not charge me anything to "break us out."
The dealer was Tennessee RV just off I-40 East side of Knoxville. Good folks.
Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every RV I've ever owned had lousy door hardware and I've always had to slam the doors to get and keep them shut. I've had to replace the pot metal mechanisms, too. Glad your problem was solvable. Geez, 24 degrees?
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like the old style TriMark 60-0650 lock. Hopefully, the dealer sold you the newer redesigned model 60-1650 that's stronger.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate