cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally found a campsite...

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been hunting for campsites for a few weeks now with no success. Just about every CG we like to visit, and it is a long list, is completely booked up for months. I don't know if someone canceled but yesterday I found three consecutive nights at Dead Horse Ranch SP in Cottonwood.

It is only about 90 minutes from our new home here in Payson and one of our favorite State parks. I will be towing my cargo trailer loaded with new {to me} Can Am Spyder behind our 24' Class C. We will be riding up to Sedona and doing Oak Creek Canyon from bottom to top and back again along with the obligatory ride up to Jerome, for lunch at Haunted Hamburger.
If the weather remains decent we might stretch one of our rides to include another visit to Williams and back down through Flagstaff. We both have had our first and second doses of the Moderna vaccine and are ready to get on the road for some outdoor fun.

Today is the third day in the last 4 that we have woke up to a couple of inches of fresh snow and the high will be a balmy 38 but it looks to warm up nicely over the next few days. I know spring is right around the corner as I have started seeing lizards out and about and they know waay more about the weather than any of the weather bunnies on the local TV stations. :B

These pics were taken the end of january when we got 2'+ over a 3 day storm:

:S
10 REPLIES 10

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just got home from having too much fun at Dead Horse Ranch SP. Arrived at noon on Sunday, got set up and settled in. Monday we rode my Can Am Spyder up to Sedona for a late breakfast. Sedona was jumping with crowds everywhere.

We ate at the HP cafe in downtown, it is the oldest restaurant in Sedona and the food is always awesome... best corned beef hash I have ever had. We then rode back through Cottonwood and up to Jerome. Went to the Gold King Mine and Ghost Town and had a blast exploring. If you ever get to Jerome do not miss it. Haunted Hamburger is great lunch stop with unbelievable views all the way to Mt Humphries outside of Flagstaff which was nicely snow capped. Jerome got a nice dusting of snow on Tuesday as well.

Wandered the streets of Cottonwood and then returned to camp around 3. The weather was supposed to be steady rain all day Tuesday so I put the bike back in its garage {aka our cargo trailer}. Not much rain fell but we enjoyed a quiet day reading and relaxing. Had a great fire all three nights and Tuesday morning as well.

The CG was completely full which considering what a nice campground it is was no surprise. if you are coming reservations are a must. It is a large CG with multiple loops with water and electric in all of the sites and there is a two lane dump station near the entrance. There are several large lagoons {ponds/lakes} suitable for fishing, kayaks etc., as well as a full on stable offering trail rides which we enjoyed on a prior visit.

Lots of snow at 6 to 7,000' as me made the long climb up from the Verde Valley and we are ooking forward to returning but as noted reservations are a must.

:B

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed up till midnight last week to get a spot a Lost Dutchman for next March. As soon a it hit 12 I punched up the spot and put all my info in and got reservation. I think that maybe down the road when the newness wears off of the people that bought rvs then there will be more RV for sale and more spots opening up.

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
"We will endeavor to have too much fun on your behalf... DHRSP is one of our fav writes. Did the horseback ride right there in the CG a couple of years ago. By your handle I'm guessing you are familiar with all of the great riding to be had in that area. Oak Creek Canyon and the pass out of Jerome up and over and down into the Prescott Valley are two of my all time favorites.

A few months ago I finally made the transition trading in my Indian Springfield for the Can Am Spyder and yes I do miss that torque monster Indian... It's a ***** getting old but it sure beats the alternative.
"
Thanks, we appreciate your efforts on our behalf! The Wife and I are both riders and we've put many miles on our Harley's loving AZ. For years we towed them behind the RV summer and Winter but age has now required us to use a car during the winter.. too cold/wet even in southern AZ. Still riding the rest of the year though. Love riding and eating (Red Onion) in your area.
Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. I've been to Sedona, too. My 2 young daughters enjoyed swimming
in the river when we visited years ago. Quite a scenic area, too. When people think of AZ, they usually think of desert and heat. The northern portions of the state are a different world entirely. You're fortunate to be living in that beautiful area. :C
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Thats great you got them. It was us that canceled them!! Had a conflict with all the yearly RV maintenance because they are very busy and couldn't get us any sooner."

We will endeavor to have too much fun on your behalf... DHRSP is one of our fav writes. Did the horseback ride right there in the CG a couple of years ago. By your handle I'm guessing you are familiar with all of the great riding to be had in that area. Oak Creek Canyon and the pass out of Jerome up and over and down into the Prescott Valley are two of my all time favorites.

A few months ago I finally made the transition trading in my Indian Springfield for the Can Am Spyder and yes I do miss that torque monster Indian... It's a ***** getting old but it sure beats the alternative.

:B

mr. ed wrote:
Camping in the snow wouldn't be my cup of tea; I like warmer weather. I've been to Flagstaff in the summer. Really beautiful, with fragrance of pines hanging in the air. :C

No snow in our camping itinerary but it sure was fun having it at our new home. Took the Rzr SXS our for some serious fun when it got to 6"... by the time it reached 2+' the adventure got even better except it was pretty **** cold. Flagstaff is about a 90 minutes from out new house and we like to jump on the bike and ride up and come back down through Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona and Camp Verde. It has been 72 for the last couple of days as spring comes rolling in.

:C

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Camping in the snow wouldn't be my cup of tea; I like warmer weather. I've been to Flagstaff in the summer. Really beautiful, with fragrance of pines hanging in the air. :C
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
I've been hunting for campsites for a few weeks now with no success. Just about every CG we like to visit, and it is a long list, is completely booked up for months. I don't know if someone canceled but yesterday I found three consecutive nights at Dead Horse Ranch SP in Cottonwood.

It is only about 90 minutes from our new home here in Payson and one of our favorite State parks. I will be towing my cargo trailer loaded with new {to me} Can Am Spyder behind our 24' Class C. We will be riding up to Sedona and doing Oak Creek Canyon from bottom to top and back again along with the obligatory ride up to Jerome, for lunch at Haunted Hamburger.
If the weather remains decent we might stretch one of our rides to include another visit to Williams and back down through Flagstaff. We both have had our first and second doses of the Moderna vaccine and are ready to get on the road for some outdoor fun.

Today is the third day in the last 4 that we have woke up to a couple of inches of fresh snow and the high will be a balmy 38 but it looks to warm up nicely over the next few days. I know spring is right around the corner as I have started seeing lizards out and about and they know waay more about the weather than any of the weather bunnies on the local TV stations. :B

These pics were taken the end of january when we got 2'+ over a 3 day storm:

:S
Thats great you got them. It was us that canceled them!! Had a conflict with all the yearly RV maintenance because they are very busy and couldn't get us any sooner.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like fun and thanks for the heads-up ๐Ÿ™‚
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spring break runs for about 6 weeks depending on the venue. What I think we are all facing are the hoards of new RV'ers who have come on the scene since the start of the pandemic. Campsites have always been tough to come by here in Arizona {and everywhere else I presume} but this year the problem is worse than ever.

I'll keep trying to make long term reservations and having a good working knowledge of just about every site in Arizona so we will get by but it is a PITA. Fortunately camping off grid is our preferred method and we have a lot of choices in AZ. This thread is just a heads up in case you have not begun to make plans for the spring and summer... best of luck to one and all.

:C

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it's in the next few weeks, you might be hitting spring break traffic.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV