cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally off the Valley Fever meds

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
After 4-1/2 years of fighting Valley Fever, my team of doctors decided to take me off the meds on a trial basis to see if my immune system can keep it at bay. I have to be tested every 4 weeks to monitor the titers level. Since there is no cure for Valley Fever, I'll have to be tested for the rest of my life. After 10 weeks off of the meds, there is no indication the Valley Fever is trying to spread.

I can't believe the difference in how I feel, being off the meds. The side effects from the meds were awful, and I hope I never have to take them again. My strength & stamina is returning, and my mind is getting sharper. The constant pain I had in my muscles and joints is gone.

Thru-out the 4-1/2 years, we took the 5er out camping as often as my illness would allow.

Thanks for letting my share my news.
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not
7 REPLIES 7

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
EPenney wrote:

How is your body reacting to the 100mg/day Fluconazole? I was still having a few side effects when taking 200mg/day.
I hope today finds you having a good day.

I'm doing OK with the 100mg, still have achy joints, get tired easily, night sweats once in a while. other than that I am happy being able to answer you and see another day... My liver functions are lower than normal but still in operation. Speaking of good days, they all are good to me but some are better. I have learned that having a positive outlook really helps. I do remember seeing/answering your posts on VF Survivor.
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
Budster wrote:
That is great news! Whatever you do, do NOT miss any of the followup checks. I was infected with VF in June of 2000. I was on mega-meds for over a year then the Drs said I was 'cured' and took me off the meds. They told me to check back in 6 months. After 3 weeks of being off the meds I developed a sore on my arm that would not go away, finally I went to have it checked out and sure enough the VF disseminated to my skin, back on the meds. Today I am on a maintenance program of 100mgs of Fluconazole and will be till the end. I do have a special circumstance with this VF in my ethnicity (Filipino) as we are more susceptible to the effects of VF and our immune system has problems with fighting fungus. There is a support group on line Valley Fever Survivor that was a big help to me and for many others.

Good luck to you and watch your health more than ever! Get checked out right away if something does not feel right. The VF is in our systems forever and can flareup at any time, you are never 'cured'.

I joined Valley Fever Survivor April 2009 after I was diagnosed in Jan. 2009. I use the same handle that I do on this forum, and you have replied to some of my posts on VF Survivor. The VF initially infected my left lung, and is disseminated, but stopped short of spreading to my spinal cord & brain. I was on 800mg/day Fluconazole for about 3-1/2 years, and then Fluconazole dosage was slowly decreased during the last year to where I was taking 200mg/day until the beginning of June this year. My liver surprisingly survived the high doses, but due to the stress to my liver I developed quite a pot belly.

How is your body reacting to the 100mg/day Fluconazole? I was still having a few side effects when taking 200mg/day.

I hope today finds you having a good day.
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
That is great news! Whatever you do, do NOT miss any of the followup checks. I was infected with VF in June of 2000. I was on mega-meds for over a year then the Drs said I was 'cured' and took me off the meds. They told me to check back in 6 months. After 3 weeks of being off the meds I developed a sore on my arm that would not go away, finally I went to have it checked out and sure enough the VF disseminated to my skin, back on the meds. Today I am on a maintenance program of 100mgs of Fluconazole and will be till the end. I do have a special circumstance with this VF in my ethnicity (Filipino) as we are more susceptible to the effects of VF and our immune system has problems with fighting fungus. There is a support group on line Valley Fever Survivor that was a big help to me and for many others.

Good luck to you and watch your health more than ever! Get checked out right away if something does not feel right. The VF is in our systems forever and can flareup at any time, you are never 'cured'.
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are feeling better. As is often the case with medical treatment the cure can be as bad as the illness. Go camping and enjoy the new vitality.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you! A friend of ours had it and they didn't diagnose it for many months. Finally a new doctor asked the right question. "have you been in the southwest?" Glad you're doing better. Take care. God Bless.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

trucker495
Explorer
Explorer
Great news I wish you well
04 HR ALUMASCAPE 31' TRAVEL TRAILER
05 RAM 3500 4X4 CTD SRW CREW CAB LONGBED

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you continue to improve and enjoy camping.