cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Toll Roads

OhBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
So last year I went to Florida and towed my travel trailer behind me. I went through many toll booths that said toll by mail or something like that. I have never gotten a bill and the FL website site says you will get a bill in the mail. I don't mind paying what I owe, but I am sure not going to pay a years worth of overinflated admin fees and other nonsense fees. Do I keep waiting for a bill like the website says?
37 REPLIES 37

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Four pages on missing a toll in Florida ... believe Monkey44 here, If I was gonna assist or take on (take your pick) an issue, it would definitely pick a bigger one than missing a toll.

And, if I do not get a bill, I'm gonna ignore it. Believe that too.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
OhBlackWater wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
https://www.sunpass.com/violationsMissedToll

That's for driving through a Sunpass lane without a Sunpass transponder. I went through the lanes that said toll by plate.

Ah- after browsing the Toll By Plate website I see it's another wonderful privatization effort by our peach of a Governor- it's a private company that does the reading and sends the bill.
I say forget it- they have a responsibility to contact you- as long as you are the registered owner. If they cannot do their job, they will be just like all the other wondrous privatizations in this state- take profit, pay the workers less, and laugh...
-- Chris Bryant

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
Hhhhmmm, not sure of some of this info...
I have a Sunpass and travel all over the state, even through EPass areas in Orlando, and have never had a problem.

I do recall having an old transponder a few years ago, that apparently quit working. We received a letter with a picture stating that they were deducting the toll from my account, which alerted me to get a new transponder...

No problems on any toll roads in FL with Sunpass, however I have never had an EPass, so maybe the people with the problems were using an EPass transponder, which I believe is a local Orlando thing. SunPass is state of FL...

I also believe that many or most states, now have the ability to share records, so you might want to look up your drivers license on your states data base and see if it shows...

In truth, a phone call will not prove much. IOW, you can call FL and ask, however it can come down to a particular agency...
I doubt FL would throw an out of state tourist in jail for a toll violation...

In the past, even different counties were not on the states' data base, that has changed...
How do I know?
I am the reason that all FL drivers licenses end with a "-0"...mine ends with a "-1", as far as I know, still the only one in the state. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Inquiring minds want to know...

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lots of paranoia.

If you are regularaly skipping out on tolls to the order of thousands of dollars over many trips, then they might harrrass you when you go back into florida.

One trip from over a year ago, they aren't likely to bother you if you go back into florida. Even if it does come up, they aren't hauling you off to jail. They will likely notify you that you have an unpaid toll and to get it taken care of.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

OhBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
So I just called the toll by plate:

"To log in with your transponder number press 1
To log in with a phone number press 2"

No way to speak to a human, isn't technology great?

OhBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
https://www.sunpass.com/violationsMissedToll

That's for driving through a Sunpass lane without a Sunpass transponder. I went through the lanes that said toll by plate.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
belfert wrote:
2oldman wrote:
I'd forget about it. Ya gotta love the technology to be able to capture your vehicle but then use paper mail to bill you.
How else are they supposed to bill you? The DMV license plate database doesn't exactly have a credit card to charge. Even if they had email addresses people tend to change those more often than they change their mailing address. Besides, if you got en email saying you owed a toll wouldn't you think it is a scam?
I don't change my email address. I have a textable cell phone, same number for years. If they can't figure out electronic billing presentment, then let them sit in the 20th century for years. Governments are good at that.

If I knew I went through a toll booth sans paying I wouldn't think it was a scam.

From what's being said here, not only do they send a paper bill, they apparently don't bother to text, email, call, or follow up with ANY kind of reminder/collection process. And then everyone says all kinds of bad things will happen. That's extortion.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
majorgator wrote:
2oldman wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
Far as I'm concerned, it that state sends me a bill, I'll pay it. But, I'm not going out of my way to ask for it. That's not my job, it's their system, not mine. I always pay my bills - but I gotta get a bill first.
Hard not to agree with this. When you get a traffic ticket it's handed to you, but this different.

Sounds like a pretty messed up system to me. They need to get with the times and text/email you this stuff, not just rely on the relic postal system and then be able to fine/jail (yah right) you for something you didn't get. But, I suppose this is another one of those 'privacy' issues that only recognize paper mail as secure.

A simple phone call to delinquent accounts would also be better than all this suspension/jail nonsense.

You don't go to jail for not paying your tolls. You go to jail for driving with a suspended or revoked license, which you can get for not paying your traffic citation...a citation you can get for not paying tolls. You don't skip a toll and go straight to jail. These things take a while to catch up to you, which actually makes the problem worse.

Oddly enough, you don't go to jail for simply not having a license...only when its been suspended or revoked. Apparently, you may only get a ticket if you're driving but have never had a license.

Your home state isn't going to suspend your license without notification based on a toll not paid in another state.

If you live in florida it might be different as there is a direct connection...even then they will be sending out notices before suspending.

The state of Florida can revoke your license's validity while driving within the state of Florida. You'll be just fine at home, or any other state, but get pulled over in Florida and you've got a problem.

If, for some reason, you're not getting the bill at home, there is a chance that you're also not getting the notice(s) from the state of Florida about a license suspension, and you won't find out until you're in Florida, get pulled over, and then find yourself in quite a pickle. In that situation, I'd really love to be a fly on the wall when someone tells them "Your toll system is your problem, not mine" or something to that effect.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Your home state isn't going to suspend your license without notification based on a toll not paid in another state.

If you live in florida it might be different as there is a direct connection...even then they will be sending out notices before suspending.
Not even concerned about your home state. Florida suspends your right to drive in their state and then notifies your home state. If you are stopped in Florida, you are DWLSR even IF your home state has not suspended your license, because Florida has suspended your right to drive in Florida.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
majorgator wrote:
2oldman wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
Far as I'm concerned, it that state sends me a bill, I'll pay it. But, I'm not going out of my way to ask for it. That's not my job, it's their system, not mine. I always pay my bills - but I gotta get a bill first.
Hard not to agree with this. When you get a traffic ticket it's handed to you, but this different.

Sounds like a pretty messed up system to me. They need to get with the times and text/email you this stuff, not just rely on the relic postal system and then be able to fine/jail (yah right) you for something you didn't get. But, I suppose this is another one of those 'privacy' issues that only recognize paper mail as secure.

A simple phone call to delinquent accounts would also be better than all this suspension/jail nonsense.

You don't go to jail for not paying your tolls. You go to jail for driving with a suspended or revoked license, which you can get for not paying your traffic citation...a citation you can get for not paying tolls. You don't skip a toll and go straight to jail. These things take a while to catch up to you, which actually makes the problem worse.

Oddly enough, you don't go to jail for simply not having a license...only when its been suspended or revoked. Apparently, you may only get a ticket if you're driving but have never had a license.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
We have a motorcycle, dually truck and a mustang, At any given time one two all three could be going through a poll road. So for all billings have
been accurate. We normally keep a $100 on the account. We use it all over Florida.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I'd forget about it. Ya gotta love the technology to be able to capture your vehicle but then use paper mail to bill you.

How else are they supposed to bill you? The DMV license plate database doesn't exactly have a credit card to charge. Even if they had email addresses people tend to change those more often than they change their mailing address. Besides, if you got en email saying you owed a toll wouldn't you think it is a scam?

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would call and give you peace of mind. It bothered you enough to post the topic. That says to me.. call.

I Purchased a Sunpass years ago, one that I can move from vehicle to vehicle, and it goes with me every time I go to Florida. We have family in Florida and travel to Disney yearly so its been worth it for us not to have to stop or deal with the issues while we are towing.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~