cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford C-Max Energi: Shut off or put in Acc mode?

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting ready to tow my 2013 Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid on its first long trip. I've left it in Accessory mode (press Start button once without depressing the brake pedal) on my very short trips, but I've seen one post on another forum suggesting that I should leave the car off altogether. Leaving it off would eliminate the need for turning off climate control, shutting off auto headlights, and disabling Bluetooth.

I've seen a lot of people quoting instructions from Ford and I've asked Ford myself, and the answers seem to depend on what day you ask.

What do other C-Max Energi (or Fusion Energi) drivers do when towing? Off or Acc?

By the way, I'm using a charge line and a ReadyBrake in case that makes a difference.
Steve -- Murphy, TX

2011 Fleetwood Storm 32BH (2011 Ford F-53 V10)
2013 Ford C-Max Energi with ReadyBrake
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, cute decorative lights in the shapes of peppers and RVs, one lovely wife, and three kids
5 REPLIES 5

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
One more follow-up after my return trip from Yellowstone during the last few days. My routine each day on the way home included putting it into Acc mode and then locking the doors with the key after exiting the vehicle. I noticed that the car appears to turn itself off shortly after I lock it. With this routine, I got consistent results and never had it go into its power-save mode like it did on the way there.
Steve -- Murphy, TX

Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, cute decorative lights in the shapes of peppers and RVs, one lovely wife, and three kids

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
Just following up with my own experience after three days of towing my C-Max. I've been leaving it in Acc mode (from the Off mode, pressing the start button once without holding down the brake pedal). I checked on it at each gas stop and at the end of each day. At least three of those times it appeared to be off when I got in the car, so it must time out after a period of time. On two other occasions, the Sync/Nav display flashed a message that said it went into power save mode to conserve the battery, and one of those times I had trouble waking it up. Pressing different combinations of the start button and brake pedal wouldn't wake it. I got out of the car to tell my wife to turn the key on the motorhome, and when I got back to the car it started right up, so either the charge line power woke it up, or just me getting in the car again reactivated something to get it out of "sleep" mode.
Steve -- Murphy, TX

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
What does the owner's manual tell you? My non plug in C Max is always towed with key in ACC position.
My manual actually tells me to do what you suggested. The problem is that I have a push-button start, and there is no key. As far as anyone can tell, that page of the C-Max manual was copy/pasted from the Ford Focus gas-only manual.

My Odyssey needs to be in the Acc position to unlock the steering wheel. My Energi's steering wheel doesn't lock, so I am just wondering what putting it into Acc does.
Steve -- Murphy, TX

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
What does the owner's manual tell you? My non plug in C Max is always towed with key in ACC position.

This is the EXACT answer you're looking for!!!! If anything fails, anything screws up, any damage to any portion of that car, while you're towing it, litigation will ask, "What does the owners manual state, for flat towing that car"???? It really doesn't matter what others do. It's not their car, it's yours. If anyone is driving the EXACT same car, equipped the exact same way, in the exact same year and model, then all of those folks should be prepping their cars for towing, exactly as the MANUAL states.

Talking to many service managers and, especially sales folks, is like talking to a rock when it comes to instructions for towing prep. I don't keep up with all of what's needed for towing many Ford vehicles but, it sure seems to me that, Ford has had its share of screw ups when it comes to towable models.

I'm not chopping down Fords, not at all. The wife and I really like the newer F-150s. I think they're really slick looking. I just cannot go into debt for the rest of my life, trying to purchase one. So, we seriously happy with our present toad, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab. In the owners manual it's perfectly laid out, what's needed for prep.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer