cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F-350 Towing Spec

TheOutdoorJohn
Explorer
Explorer
This question is plaguing me. Ford's literature for their F-350 SRW Diesels states "Fifth-wheel tow rating limited to fifth-wheel hitch rating of 18,000 lbs.". Does this mean that since their OEM fifth wheel hitch is rated at 18k this is the limit? Gooseneck rating is 20700 seeming to mean they can tow more. B&W makes a hitch meant for the OEM puck system that is rated at 20k. If I use that am I legal to tow a 20k trailer?
18 REPLIES 18

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
TheOutdoorJohn wrote:
I am looking for legal. This is important for insurance reasons. If you are over limit per manufacturer's spec then they don't have to cover you in the event of an accident.

Of course they do. Insurance covers stupid acts by the insured.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TheOutdoorJohn
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for legal. This is important for insurance reasons. If you are over limit per manufacturer's spec then they don't have to cover you in the event of an accident. People are crazy out there and both my buddy's that tow fifth wheel have gotten in unavoidable accidents with their trailers. I just want to be able to legally tow a 20k trailer with a SRW diesel.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The rating is all about what is your pin weight!!! A triple axle gooseneck or 5er RV can be towed at those numbers. Change to tandem axle and NO GO.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm confused. Are you concerned about what is "legal" to tow or what might break? As far as legal is concerned, you can tow anything you want as long as properly licensed and registered in your state; and a cop doesn't see you as a serious hazard.

As far as what might break, I haven't a clue.