cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Four Screws in single flat

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
This morning, I woke up to find the right rear tire on our 5er nearly flat. Called road service and sat down for an hour long wait. Two days earlier while chocking the wheels, I thought that I heard a faint hiss from the same tire. Checked the pressure and everything checked fine. We found 4 screws in the offending tire. The strange thing is that it was a tire on the rear axel. The tire on the front axel had to pass over the same screws. I hadn't backed up in over 300 miles, and that was on a clean cement pad. How does a tire pick up 4 screws, when it's twin passed over the same screws. I could believe one but for the first tire to pick up none and the second tire 4 is unbelievable.
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When the front tire ran over the screws they were laying on their sides, Points pointing basically down, but the tire passing over them flipped them up so they were head down, point up, when the 2nd tire passed over them.

However.. On a humor side.. That is what I call getting REALLY SCREWED.

When I first installed a TPMS on my MH and towed... I promptly got screwed, only just one time, not 4 like you,, The TPMS saved me the cost of the tire and seondary repairs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Man, you got screwed in that deal!
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
All the******that hits the road surface ends up on the shoulder area. Yes the front tire sets up the rear tire for a flat.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
The energy imparted to them from the front tire lifted them, then the rear tire picked them up. They were harmlessly lying flat on the ground when encountered by the first tire.

If my theory is correct, you probably drove over a lot more than 4 screws.

This is the correct answer to what happened. Happens to the trucking industry all the time and usually on the curb side of the road. Not much you can do about it in my opinion.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The energy imparted to them from the front tire lifted them, then the rear tire picked them up. They were harmlessly lying flat on the ground when encountered by the first tire.

If my theory is correct, you probably drove over a lot more than 4 screws.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Trick screws.
HR