Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freshwater Hookup Port Question

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

After getting a new camper last spring, I had to think of a different way to hook up my freshwater hose. The new camper had a universal docking station. That meant I had to run a hose up through a port in the RV floor to hook it up inside a storage compartment. I couldn't seem to get the hose tight enough and had a drip. I think I have solved that. I used one of the flexible hose couplings that come with a water filter and put that in between the hookup and the hose. I also added a few other things like a quick connect and a better water hose. I did a writeup of all the parts I use to hookup my freshwater hose at drinking water hose connections

Wondering what people do to plug the port in the floor. I would prefer not to have mice, ants or other pests come into the camper through that hole. So far, I have just been stuffing a rag in around the hose. Anyone have a better solution?

Thanks
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living
12 REPLIES 12

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Replace existing port with a deck plate thru floor that you can cover when not in use. Small one just for hose.
deck plate

+1 simple and cheap
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to everyone for the great ideas.

After some experimenting, the suggestion that worked best for my situation was the sponge. I used a thick sponge like you would use for tiling, cut it out to the size of the port, and then cut a slit to accommodate the hose.

Helpful conversations like that is why I like these forums.

Regards.
2010 Ram 2500

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I usea piece of a large pool noodle.....amd make the hole in the noodle big enought for my 2 hoses and cable to go thru and.
cpaulsen

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Switch out your hatch for one of These.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
we use a heavy duty sponge for tile grouting. Cut it to shape of the hole with a slit cut into the inside hole for the hose.

x2 works great!
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
we use a heavy duty sponge for tile grouting. Cut it to shape of the hole with a slit cut into the inside hole for the hose.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Or, just fill your fresh water tank, disconnect the hose, close up the hole, and pump the water from your tank, no pressure regulators needed, no critters, bugs, or problems, and it also makes you keenly aware of how much water you are using.

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers so far.

Bob213 said "Replace existing port with a deck plate thru floor that you can cover when not in use." I appreciate the idea.

Just to clarify, the port has a flip up plate that covers the hole when not in use. When I put anything through the port - like a hose or cable tv cord - the plate is in the open position and there is a significant gap around the hose & cable. It seems like a bad idea to have an open hole in the floor leading into the storage compartment.

Thanks Yosemite Sam1 for the steel wool idea. Sounds promising.

Any additional recommendations?
2010 Ram 2500

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Replace existing port with a deck plate thru floor that you can cover when not in use. Small one just for hose.
deck plate
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
K Charles wrote:
I put a 90 degree elbow on before the hose. The hose fills the hole quite nicely.

+1 Brass 90 degree elbow. Also make sure you replace the rubber washer every now and then.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I put a 90 degree elbow on before the hose. The hose fills the hole quite nicely.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Steel wool will be a better plug than rag that a mice can still gnaw through -- assuming your flooring is not wood, thin plastic, etc .