cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FWD towing

103holland
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any issues to towing a FWD vehicle on a dolly. Just load and tie down, leave in park with key off and go? Right?
11 REPLIES 11

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
103holland wrote:
I thought about 4 down towing but when I inquired about tow bar and wiring I felt $3800 and that does not include axillary brake was high. I got a tow dolly for a grand with brakes and lights 2010 model. This saves me many thousands.

Not really the 3800 to tow 4 down is crazy on the high side unless you got quoted a system for a diesel pusher air braking system
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Check the manual of the towed car. Many are not approved for tow dollies, often because of body-work clearance and some because of structural or power train conflicts (VWs with cast aluminum oil pans for example).
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
103holland wrote:
I was thinking about a jeep liberty either FWD or 4 WD.

I have a 2004 Liberty. It needs to be either trailered or 4-down. No dolly.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

rgreenb831
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed my FWD 2012 Prius on a Roadmaster tow dolly with no problems at all. Although the tow dolly complicates things around a campsite, and storing it in the winter, it is easy to drive the car up onto the dolly, put the vehicle in park, no emergency brake, and strap the front wheels in and go. It's best to check the straps every stop and tighten if necessary. The tow dolly has electric brakes, so no external braking system is necessary, just an electronic brake controller in the RV to adjust the braking sensitivity and response.

103holland
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about a jeep liberty either FWD or 4 WD.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
My Subaru can only be towed 4 wheels down, and only the manual shift Subaru can be towed. Don't know about other four wheel drive vehicles, but I think the Subaru is typical.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
Check the owners manual. There are lots of FWDs that cannot be towed on a dolly.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Manuals for some FWDs, namely a 2013 Dodge caravan for one. tell you not to tow on a dolly. They are concerned about the gears/parking mechanisim being stressed when being strapped down. I towed mine all the time, but I was careful to leave the tranny in neutral, while strapping the wheels down. Then last of all, shift the tranny to park.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
With FWD, you're PROBABLY OK on a Dolly. The Owner's Manual for the specific vehicle you want to tow is the ultimate authority.

There are some FWD's that shouldn't be dolly towed. Also, be sure the dolly is wide enough for the width of the towed vehicle's front axle/tires.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

103holland
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about 4 down towing but when I inquired about tow bar and wiring I felt $3800 and that does not include axillary brake was high. I got a tow dolly for a grand with brakes and lights 2010 model. This saves me many thousands.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I wired my Ford Windstar with brake lights that come on with my motorhome lights, and running lights. This was to a plug on my tow dolly, and also the tow dolly had lights powered by the motorhome.

I put a diode on each light on the rear, for turn/brake signals, and connected the 'white' wire to ground the van to the motorhome lights, brown wire to the running lights in the front of the van, that turned on all the lights when towing.

I moved the diodes over to my new 2007 Ford Edge, and installed a 4 wheels down towing kit on that car, it is SO much easier to tow 4 wheels down, and no need to park the dolly someplace at each campground. Also the 4 wheel down towing only puts about 30 pounds of weight on the tow hitch, while the tow dolly with the 2,200 pound front axle on it might have put around 200 - 250 pounds on the hitch.

I did not leave the keys in the van while it was on the tow dolly. I did have to remember all 7 steps - especially after leaving a campground, hearing a s****ing sound behind me, and discovered the latch to keep the 'tilt' in the up position forgotten! That was on the third time I towed with the dolly, and I never forgot anything for the next 2 years that I full timed with the dolly.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com