cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator help please

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
We are wanting to do some boondocking and were looking for a generator. Can someone help me understand what we are looking for ie: 120/240, inverter generator ( what is it ? ) I am guessing we need at least a 3000 watt unit, any other things we should be looking at ? also do you use your unit to charge the battery or to run the TV, fridge, micro etc. direct off the generator. Sorry about the nubie questions .:)

PS I know a lot of people use honda on the site but we will probably buy a used ( cheap ) unit for now until we see how it goes

Thanks, Joe
15 REPLIES 15

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
12rvjoe wrote:
We are wanting to do some boondocking and were looking for a generator. Can someone help me understand what we are looking for ie: 120/240, inverter generator ( what is it ? ) I am guessing we need at least a 3000 watt unit, any other things we should be looking at ? also do you use your unit to charge the battery or to run the TV, fridge, micro etc. direct off the generator. Sorry about the nubie questions .:)

PS I know a lot of people use honda on the site but we will probably buy a used ( cheap ) unit for now until we see how it goes

Thanks, Joe

Joe -
You will find *LOTS* (more) Generator info on the *Tech Issues* forum (here).

Use the search feature for any generator subject, brand, type, etc, you can think of.

No need to wait for replies.

Not enough info? - use search in the archives (over one year old) -
"exponentially" more of the above.

~

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
If you are truly going to be boondocking out in the middle of no where with no neighbors, I suggest the Champion 3500/4000. Add $100 for the enclosure tent and it is as quiet as some of the cheaper inverter solutions toss about. It is much less expensive at $300, more powerful, starts with one pull in any weather and pretty much as dependable as anything out there.

We bought our first one because it was cheap and would run the AC at 10,000 ft, something I would later learn is no easy feat. We spent the extra cash on solar, extra battery, a big inverter, and more. When we did have the cash for a nice shiny respectable inverter generator, I found that none of the 3000w inverters had what it takes to run a AC at elevation. So our upgrade was another 3500/4000 but this time with remote start for $425.

Now before someone jumps in and says OMG don't run that next to me, remember this is boondocking and if you can hear my generator, you are too close. Also remember that solar, battery and inverter that we got with the extra cash, it has made it so we haven't run the generator while camping for two years. We don't even take it unless we know it will be hot enough for the AC to be needed. We still get to use the microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer, etc. We just don't make any noise doing it.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info ..

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
Check into the Champion 3100 inverter generator on Overstock.com @ $849. From what I can tell, it's a fantastic generator--comparable to the Yamaha and Honda 3000 watt units. Some of the big online generator sellers are also starting to sell them--1/2 the cost of Y and H.

The company is very customer oriented and carries a full supply of parts--even if they're a Far East company. Their customers rant positive things about the generators and the company online.

FYI: You'll just find inverter generators to be 110 volt. Sometimes they put out two 110 volt outputs. For RV use, 220 generators are not used.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do know I saw a Honda EU-3000i in a pawn shop recently (I was buying, not pawning and a non-related item) Darian Pawn, Darian GA.

You might pawn around.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that replied.

Crazy Ray wrote:
Joe, google 12volt side of life, read and learn. GREAT READ. JMO

Now you got me thinking ..... lol

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Honda EU2000 for about 4 years. Starts easy,runs great,quiet and have done no service to date and no problems.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
To the OP, if you're looking for a cheaper genny, check out the Champion line of inverter gennys. They have a big following on this forum. Supposedly good support too. Important, because on some of these clones that are popping up everyday, there's virtually no support.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I'd suggest biting the bullet and buying a quality inverter generator.

My brothers and my (brief) history:

Kipor 2800 Ti lasted about 9 years under 200 hours run time--four repairs required. $1300 FOB Regina

No name 2500 watt electric start. Starter did not work. After repairs, generator caught on fire (outside the repair persons home). FOB Regina $700

No name pull start. Ran 3 times. Inverter failed--no parts available FOB Saskatoon $800.00

Boily 3000 five repairs, never did run reliably and at the end had 80 volts output and essentially NO warranty. FOB Orlando $1300 USD

Yamaha 3000 Sieb powers everything, so far over 100 hours and zero problems. I have upgraded it with a remote start kit (mainly to be able to turn it off when going to bed, as I refuse to take the CO risk of running it while sleeping) Purchased from RV store in Regina $2645

12rvjoe wrote:

Thanks, Joe

Like Don demonstrated, buy the best the first time around and you only cry once!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you don't need the air conditioner it is cheaper by far to add a modest solar system than to purchase a generator.

Operating the generator to operate the air conditioner is more expensive than going to a cheap campground.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd suggest biting the bullet and buying a quality inverter generator.

My brothers and my (brief) history:

Kipor 2800 Ti lasted about 9 years under 200 hours run time--four repairs required. $1300 FOB Regina

No name 2500 watt electric start. Starter did not work. After repairs, generator caught on fire (outside the repair persons home). FOB Regina $700

No name pull start. Ran 3 times. Inverter failed--no parts available FOB Saskatoon $800.00

Boily 3000 five repairs, never did run reliably and at the end had 80 volts output and essentially NO warranty. FOB Orlando $1300 USD

Yamaha 3000 Sieb powers everything, so far over 100 hours and zero problems. I have upgraded it with a remote start kit (mainly to be able to turn it off when going to bed, as I refuse to take the CO risk of running it while sleeping) Purchased from RV store in Regina $2645

12rvjoe wrote:

Thanks, Joe
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, google 12volt side of life, read and learn. GREAT READ. JMO
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You want 120 volt only. 30 amp RV plug is very convenient.

I use solar to keep the battery up and GoPower inverter to run 120v items.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What size gen do i need? 2011
What size.. 2013
Which gen.. 12/2013
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman