cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Genset issue

avan
Explorer
Explorer
First - I am not what you might consider handy and so I generally pay to have things done.

My MH has a 4KW Onan Microquiet gas genny. I purchased the MH from folks who rarely used it and found all the systems they had to learn confusing. The generator would not start and I factored that into my offer. Preparing for last summer travels, I took the MH to a Cummins/Onan factory run RV facility in Ft Myers. They replaced the carb and had it running and returned to me in a half hour or so. I then traveled using the gen set frequently over the next 6 months. On my last night out, I used the genny for a couple of hours for AC and some TV and then turned it off before retiring for the night.

I finished my trip the next day and arriving at home early afternoon, I tried to start the generator. It would not start and that was only 8 hrs or so after having been started and run the night before. It hasn't started since. It will turn over and will run a few seconds if I use the starter spray.

So I'm a bit curious why a genset, with about 100 hrs on it, would suddenly not start in such a short period of time. I don't mind getting it fixed but would like to be a bit more educated on what might be wrong and how long a fix should last. Surely a fix should last more than 6 months at a time? What say you?
www.putt10.net
27 REPLIES 27

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
avan wrote:

Sam Spade: I was very impressed with the Cummins facility, its people and its service and I'm not blaming them. I do intend to go back there as my trust in mfr facilities is infinitely higher than it is in RV dealer service departments.

Don't overlook the suggestion made by several people to check the oil level. It seems that the "low oil level" protection can kick in before the level gets really low.

And for future reference, if it is going to sit more than a month the fuel supply should have stabilizer added. And I think a dose of carb cleaner at least once during the operating season is a good idea too.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
One of the biggest contributors to gen set problems is the lack of use. 6 Months between runnings is too long. Fire it up at least once a month. I believe Onan's service manual states a one month interval.

And check the oil. Even a guy with ten thumbs can do that.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jsikora
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar gen set and was used rarely before me. It took me weeks of tinkering to get it to run. What i found was the fuel pump had died. I replaced it with an amazon aftermarket and was fine for last summer. Now its acting up again. I need to look at it once the weather breaks. If you pull the line off the carb it should pump fuel out when you push the switch. Mine did not.
1998 Fleetwood Bounder 30
FORE SALE - 2006 Fleetwood Wilderness 5th Wheel
SOLD - 2010 F-350 PSD Lariet CC 4X4
2000 Jayco Pop Up...The Guest House

avan
Explorer
Explorer
I surely do appreciate the advice. Based on what I'm reading here, it would appear to be a fuel flow issue which, if I understand correctly, would occur after my gas tank and up to and including the replaced carb. That helps me. I just don't want to go back and be totally ignorant even though I am. To those who are suggesting the various manuals etc., thanks but those won't help, in particular, me. I'm too old to learn and too old to get down on my knees to look at this or that. I just want to be knowledgeable enough to not have my wallet totally exposed :). That and if it costs a few hundred every 6 months to keeps something in working order, I would want to do the math as to how much a gen set really costs me vs. an electric hookup.

Sam Spade: I was very impressed with the Cummins facility, its people and its service and I'm not blaming them. I do intend to go back there as my trust in mfr facilities is infinitely higher than it is in RV dealer service departments.
www.putt10.net

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
In my (very limited) experience with Cummins service, they have been very good about diagnosing and fixing simple stuff for little or no charge if you are a previous customer.

I suggest that you return to the same dealer again......after checking the oil level that is. They seem to be picky about having the oil level near the top.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this pdf will help http://power.cummins.com/sites/default/files/literature/rv/F-1123-EN.pdf
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
To me it sounds like the fuel filter is clogged. That's why it will run on the starting fluid but dies because no fuel is coming through. Brand new fuel filters can clogged if the fuel or tank is contaminated. With you travelling you may have shook up some debris or gotten bad gas somewhere.

I would replace the fuel filter first.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If you provide the exact model number and spec for your Onan chances are someone will provide you with link to on-line repair manual which should have trouble shooting section.

Sounds like fuel starvation issue - maybe bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, fuel line issue?
Kevin

avan
Explorer
Explorer
No, I haven't replaced the fuel filter. But I would hope that when I brought it to the Cummins/Onan facility, told them it was a "new to me" generator, that it wouldn't start and to service and fix it, that they would have replaced whatever needed replacing. The gen set had 32 hours on it at the time. When I get over to the MH later this week, I'll pull the invoice and see what, in addition to the carb, they billed me for.

I'm not upset about having it serviced again. I was just surprised by the abruptness and totality of the failure without any forewarning - no hard starts, no burping, no rough idling etc. And now since it hasn't started since I got back in October, I suspect that the carb will be clogged again just because of the idleness and am wondering if it is replaced again, should I expect a working life in excess of 6 months?
www.putt10.net

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
avan wrote:

Gbopp: Fuel tank is at 3/4 full (probably 35-40 gal left out of a 55 gal tank). I filled up in the town where I overnighted, ran the genny for 2 hours and then drove the last 125 miles home.

Okay, my theory is out the window. Did you replace the fuel filter for the generator?
Maybe it's not getting fuel.

Hopefully someone has a better answer or idea of what's causing your problem.

avan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx.
Coolbreeze01: If it were a stuck choke, non clear intake, low oil level, would it run when sprayed with the starting fluid? And if so, would they account for it running well just hours before and then totally refusing to start?

Gbopp: Fuel tank is at 3/4 full (probably 35-40 gal left out of a 55 gal tank). I filled up in the town where I overnighted, ran the genny for 2 hours and then drove the last 125 miles home.
www.putt10.net

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
First thing. How much fuel is in the motorhome tank? The generator usually draws fuel from the tank for the engine.
The pickup is about 1/4 tank above the bottom of the tank, so you can't let the generator use up all the fuel and strand you.
Maybe after you ran the generator and then drove home, you dropped the fuel level below the generator pickup.
Go fill the gas tank, at least 1/2 full and see what happens.

If that does not solve the problem, do what coolbreeze01 said, check your oil level in the generator. Also make sure the fuel filter is clean.

It sounds like you ran the fuel in the tank too low.

Let us know if that solved your problem. Always do the cheap, easy things first, it's often something simple.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Start with simple: oil level, primed, stuck choke, clear air intake. Not an expert, just own several engines.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL