cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting cold {er} in southern Arizona...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
The forecast was calling for lows here in Tucson in the low thirties for most of the night so I "Winterized" our class C... Arizona style yesterday. I open the three fresh water valves and let them drain while driving around for about 5 miles and leave them open. Next I add a quart of RV antifreeze to the black and grey tanks and a cup or so to each of the traps {two sinks and the shower}.

That's about it, never bothered to blow out the lines as driving around a bit seems to clear them sufficiently. Oops, almost forgot the most important step... restock the bar! :S

Been using this method for 12 years with no freezing related damage issues. I always carry a spare gallon or two in the coach as we camp year round and and the desert nights can easily get down into the 20's. Fortunately our 24' Class C Nexus came with heated tanks, is very well insulated and has a 35,000 BTU furnace.

Our Christmas run to San Diego to visit our daughter and SIL will be in the Honda Ridgeline but in January we are headed out to Ehrenburg {on the Colorado River} for 4 days and nights of riding our Rzr's and then up the road to Quartzsite for the big RV show. Alamo State Park is a probable stop on the way home. Will be packing the Campfire In a Can and the spare 20# LP bottle as well as the usual assortment of cold weather clothes... it will be chilly but snow is not likely.

:C
22 REPLIES 22

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
drsteve wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Why the HELL would you winterize in the 30's???

He didn't. All he did was open the low point drains and dump some pink into the traps.
Good thing it didn't get cold.

I was going by what he said.

"The forecast was calling for lows here in Tucson in the low thirties for most of the night so I "Winterized" our class C.."
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

He didn't. All he did was open the low point drains and dump some pink into the traps.
Good thing it didn't get cold.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
x2...unless the 20s are in the forecast and it's unoccupied.

Just use your heat.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Water freezes at 32ยฐF no matter where you are, but our reactions to colder weather depends on what part of the country you are in.
Personally in our area (Central Ontario, Canada), if I was going to be using the RV in the next couple weeks, I wouldn't think of winterizing if the overnight temp was going to 30. It would take much longer to get the RV to that freezing temperature.

Here low 30s, put on a jacket to shovel the snow and then come in and add ice to my drink. I did see one neighbour using his snow blower, while wearing shorts, my definition of cold freezing weather is different than others.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
^ right
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Lower 30's? Shirtsleeve weather here in Michigan...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"restock the bar!... I always carry a spare gallon or two ..."

Ahhhhh!!!! Nice!!!!!! (want some company?)