cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grab bar

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
Any ideas on how to install a grab bar in our mh bedroom? The walls that we need it on are thin plywood with no studs in the area. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!
3 REPLIES 3

Goldstar225
Explorer
Explorer
I had grab bars installed in our travel trailer for my wife. Our dealer opened the wall and installed additional 2X4 studs in the locations we specified. Gave a good, solid attachment point.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
When I installed a grab bar in our Class C, I went behind the thin plywood wall and placed a small piece of thicker plywood (or use a regular wood like a piece of 1x4) on the reverse side of the wall directly behind the spot where I wanted to place the grab bar; it was glued to the wall so it wouldn't fall down. Then I screwed the grab bar to the wall using screws that were long enough to attach themselves to the wood behind the wall, but not too long in case you have to reach into the spot for whatever reason and not get scratched. If you cannot place a piece of wood where it won't show, then get a small piece of hardwood and stain/varnish it to match the wall and follow the same procedure.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
For information only - Not an advert...

Two alternative styles of grab bars that might work:

Swing away bed bar.

Or

Grab pole

Both types come in several models. The pole is free standing but can be attached to floor and/or ceiling with some modification.

Prices and quality vary.

We got the pole type for my Mother and told her it would double as a stripper pole. (Yes, I fully expect this last bit of information will be moderated out. ๐Ÿ˜‰
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!