cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hand-powered chainsaw -- for emergency use

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we boondock, we sometimes come upon fallen logs blocking the forest roads (especially in the wake of the bark beetle epidemic), and I usually use a bow saw to cut them (if we can't just move them out of the way by hand). This only comes up once a year or so -- if it were every time, I would bring a chainsaw!

But a chainsaw is bulky and messy -- I do not have unlimited room in the cargo bed of my truck.

So I am going to give this project a try -- I have several old saw chains sitting around, ones that do not fit my current chainsaw. This video shows how to attach handles to a chain and then use it manually to cut wood.

Not sure it is much better than a bow saw, but it is certainly easier to store and carry! Plus it gives me something to do while I am busy practicing my "anti-social distancing." ๐Ÿ˜‰

Video
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
56 REPLIES 56

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
mapguy, I went to that link at Home Depot -- very helpful!! But I was surprised by the text of the product description:

"With its carbon steel teeth and extreme portability, this survival saw is an essential tool for snowmobilers, campers, hikers, mountain bikers and all other outdoorsmen."

Just for the record, when there is wood to be cut, DW always takes her turn with the saw. So we may have to ask them to change "outdoorsmen" to "persons of outdoor-ness." ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to General RVing Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
"anti-social distancing"

:B
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist is right.
I have owned a logging company and also pruned thousands of trees. A pruning saw has a much smaller kerf and requires much less effort. I like the Japanese saws that cut on the pull stroke. Bring an axe just in case for the big stuff.

Electric chain saws are ****, under powered and poorly made. Maybe the new ones are better.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Hand powered chain saw blade cutting devices have been around for forever. Very popular with the snowmobile and off road motorcycle enthusiasts due to light weight and cutting capacity. If sharp -they cut well but suck up energy during use.

Manual Chain Saw at home Depot

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
Here is a link to the product mentioned by Fisherman, above:

Pocket chain saw
I have one similar to this one, I used it for backpacking when I was younger. It works good and rolls up and fits in a round container about 4 ins in dia. It is thinner and lighter weight than a chainsaw blade. It definitely works, not quite as fast as a bow saw but takes up a lot less space in a backpack. I now camp in a class A and have more storage and have an electric chainsaw.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a link to the product mentioned by Fisherman, above:

Pocket chain saw
About our trailer

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
Dan,

Like you, we sometimes encounter downed trees when driving on back roads. Most of the time, unless they are huge pines etc,they can be pulled out of the way with a long chain and a good 4x4 truck with out any cutting.

Because much of our camping/ back packing over the years has been in cool/cold northern mountainous areas, having a daily fire was more than just ambiance. I always carried a Coghlans folding alumium saw that could cut up 6" snags quickly for fire wood. Most of the wood for fires is from softwoods but the saw also cuts through dense desert hard woods but it is slower work. This is a light, back pack saw that is extremely sharp if you replace blades every year depending on usage but it cannot cut large diameter rounds as well as a full sized bow saw.

I know you said that you already have a bow saw for emergencies but like another poster mentioned, the wider the kerf, the tougher the work. A chainsaw blade is wide compared to the blade for my foldable saw and I think it will prove to be a lot of work unless it is used just for the odd times in an emergency. If you have the time, go for it.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My neighbor just got a DEWALT battery powered chain saw... I gotta get one of theses...

I see AMAZON has it available $128
ADDED NOTE... I just saw this is sold without the 20V Battery haha... With Battery it is $209...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I've got one of these and have cut some high branches up to 6-7 hard maple. You can extend the length simply by adding rope to the handles. https://www.amazon.com/Unbelievable-Pocket-Chain-Portable-Camping/dp/B0002YPMSY

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Newer trucks and SUVs have 110 volts plugs for low powered stuff including electric chain saws. My 2015 Tahoe was limited to 300 watts, the 2020 Silverado has 400 available.

That would have to be a pretty tiny saw. My 16" electric chainsaw draws 12 amps, way more than any 400 watt inverter I've ever seen can handle. Electric chainsaws can still be messy too. If my saw tips over, it will leak bar oil.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
To those who question whether this project is worthwhile: so do I! But what have I got to lose? I have the chain, I have the time, and I have a workshop. It's worth a try. Better than standing in line for toilet paper, right?

And it's better than marching down my honeydew list. "Honey, could you please do ---?" ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar chain saw based saw I carry in my day trip fanny pack. Very compact and easy to use. My regular backpack has a folding saw though that's a bit easier to use.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
If only they made folding bow saws...

They do. The frame looks like a flattened H with the blade on the bottom with a threaded rod on top. Usually the parts slide into the frame pieces. You can make one out of wood after buying replacement blades and use twisted rope with a toggle for the tensioner.

The Pocket Chainsaw is sold by most sporting goods catalog/internet stores. $10-20.

I just carry a mid size axe and a folding "pocket" saw with a 10" blade.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I have one with long ropes for cutting limbs that even a pole pruner wonโ€™t reach. It works OK once you toss the bean bag tied to one rope in the desired location. I sure wouldnโ€™t want to cut a load of firewood with it.

I have one of those myself. just toss one end over the branch, and alternately pull one of the ends/ropes.
bumpy