cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Another member suggested a new forum section with new products but it doesn't look like it will be feasible. So I thought I would post this here under General RVing Issues. If enough people post (even if you have mentioned it before in another post) we can keep it near the top?

Do you have a handy hint, a new product or an old product that makes your RVing or Camping much better?

(Sorry, no commercial advertising allowed)

I'll start:

Someone in the Camping Van posted a reference to using a Super-Chamois to wipe down their shower. I have been using an icky old thick sponge and I like the chamois idea so much more.

Now I want to hear what works for you
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
3,560 REPLIES 3,560

Glenn_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to help out with cutting plastic. Take your time, as it can crack easily.

Link for acrylic (Plexiglass) fabrication

kingsknight
Explorer
Explorer
My DH grabbed the plexiglass and installed it like a pro. Thanks for all your help. I just love this forum.

NorthernLiteRyd
Explorer
Explorer
I did just that. I made sure it would fit in the existing groove that is on the outside of the screen door on mine. I then purchased some metal clips that had a set screw to hold at the bottom and top as needed. Purchased the clips at Home Depot in their screen door parts section. Good luck.
1996 JAYCO SL 210
2007 CHEVY SILVERADO 1500 CC 5.3 V8 3.73
2 DOGS (RESCUED FROM SHELTER)

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
kingsknight wrote:
Okay, So I went and bought my plexiglass and I am ready to put it in my screen door for the RV. How did you get yours to fit? It seems like my door has a place for it right off the bat... Can I cut it to fit and then bend it a little? All help will be appreciated in this matter.

Most cut it larger than the screen area and attache it with velcro strips. If you have a groove it will slide into then go for it. It is somewhat flexible.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

kingsknight
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, So I went and bought my plexiglass and I am ready to put it in my screen door for the RV. How did you get yours to fit? It seems like my door has a place for it right off the bat... Can I cut it to fit and then bend it a little? All help will be appreciated in this matter.

justthe5ofus
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, 4 years after this thread was started and here I am sharing tips! There's some great ideas within this thread.

We use an electric space heater. That way we don't have to use the furnace and we end up going through a lot less propane.

Each person gets their own color bath towel so we lnow whose is whose when we set them on the drying rack.

We had an under the counter coffee maker but we didn't attach it. Because it has a nice big flat top, when we put it on the counter we can put things on top in the same amount of space. We put napkins and coffee mugs on top.

We have 2 command hooks on the wall by the door for keys.

We use the "brushed nickel" command hooks for jackets. They look so nice. We have an ultralite trailer so we don't feel comfortable putting a lot of weight on the walls. The kids' jackets go on one wall. Mine and dh's go on the divider wall for our "bedroom".
~Jen, Fred & family

2009 Rockwood 8317SS
2008 Ford F150

Denise_in_Ark
Explorer
Explorer
In order to avoid pet/children damage to the screen door, the easiest thing of all is to purchase a sheet of plexiglass bigger than the bottom of the door opening by a good 3-4" on either side. If you're only dealing with a small pet, there is a chance that all you'd ever have to do is lean it against the door, since they open to the outside. If it needs a little more "stick" than that, a swatch of heavy duty velcro on either side of the door with the matching side on the plexi would hold it in place. If you have a dog that scratches against the door even with it closed, you could close the screen, reach in through the slider and pull the plexiglass up in place, then close the outside door. This may not be enough to control a thoroughly determined, bigger, or completely panicked dog, but by and large it should work with most of them. It keeps our 60lb springer from hitting the screen (and possibly going through it) if someone walks up to the screen with the door open and she charges the door.

Denise in Ark

ridingfamily4
Explorer
Explorer
I like baby wipes too - easy for quick clean ups or DH likes them for after dumping, that way he doesn't have to touch the faucet.

I use them when boondocking for a "quick bath" when we have gray tank issues. Sometimes we are out for 8-10 days at a time with 4 of us - that leaves very little room for nice showers for all of us!
The one who laughs last, thinks slowest! :B

2001 Minnie Winnie
2004 Enclosed trailer
2012 Artic Cat Wildcat
2013 Honda 400
2010 Honda 250
1991 Navy at A School
1995 Getting ready for college!
2001 Boxer

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
JPCguy wrote:
I haven't been able to read all of the posts, so this may have been covered.
We carry a supply of baby diapers. They are very absorbent and can soak up and handle leaks or spills great. Of course leaks should be repaired ASAP, but is not always possible quickly.

I like this idea!!! There have been times when these would have come in handy :E.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

JPCguy
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been able to read all of the posts, so this may have been covered.
We carry a supply of baby diapers. They are very absorbent and can soak up and handle leaks or spills great. Of course leaks should be repaired ASAP, but is not always possible quickly.
Stan & Marty
2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 30PDD
1999 Honda Goldwing
Wave as you go by

paulb4333
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this in the general section and should have posted it here.
=================================================

I ran across this specialized search engine, pdfgeni.com, which seems to have a lot of excellent info in PDF format.

When possible, I try to keep all of my manuals in PDF format and bring them on the coach and also on my iphone. The search feature is sometimes useful.

The search display is limited, so you may have to fine tune your search by using standard search "fine tuning" methods. For example,
a "Norcold" alone search produces some good hits, but using the plus or minus character focuses it well. For example, "Norcold +1200" produces a concise list with owners manual, service manual, tips etc.

I've found some great info here and I hope it helps you as well.

Paul

PDF GENI-Click here
2006 Fleetwood Excursion
39L
350 HP CAT
Spartan Chassis
FJ Cruiser for a Toad

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
We use large plastic bins with lids to divide up the space under the bed. They are the perfect height for our under bed space, keep things clean, and can be re-arranged for changing storage needs.

Also, the boxes that cases of copy paper come in are good for under bed storage. The boxes are just the right height and have straight sides so there is no wasted space.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I added Plexiglas one foot high on the inside of the screen door at the bottom. Keeps the grandkids from putting their foot through the screen. :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

teebee1
Explorer
Explorer
Added plexiglass to the outside of the screen door. This allows us to leave the main door open and enjoy the views.
teebee1
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser turbo, convertible
retired and irresponsible

jellenn
Explorer
Explorer
Best Birthday Gift!!
last year Dad got my husband a back up camera, this year BAL Wheel Chocks. LOOOVE them!they seem really to hold well and are simple to use. I love my Daddy!
Queen Bee and the Hornets Nest

Jill, Jason, the Boy, 3 Girls and our Poodle Mix, Rascal.
2005 Keystone Hornet 24 RSL
2007 2500 HD CHevy with a duramax.