cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has anyone seen a tour bus/rv

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
No, not a conversion. We came across this first in Chicken Alaska. We quickly moved along as this bus of Germans seemed to all smoke and it sort of smoked us out from our outdoor lunch table.(First pic at Chicken)

Then today at Skagway the pulled in to a std site at the RV park we are staying. I count 26 windows and that seems to be about how many people came out of the tour bus. Indeed it seems that this bus travels like a tour bus during the day and everyone crawls into what could only be described as a Tiny sleeping chamber at night. The passenger side of the bus folds out creating a platform to access the sleeping units. I didn't have a camera while it was being assembled with the cloth canopy off but what I saw reminded me of the tv show Quincy ME. Tiny little doors to each bed.

Anyone seen or know what the heck this is? Would you go out on the road to tour a foreign (or any) country and sleep in this?

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.
27 REPLIES 27

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I remember those buses from the '80's in the New Yorker Trailer City (now gone- in North Bergen, NJ). They haven't changed a bit.
-- Chris Bryant

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
The sleeping compartments are about the size of the old Pullman sleepers on US trains. Tens of thousands of Americans have traveled the country in those.

It is certainly not how I'd want to travel the US, but I also don't try to cover 5,000 miles in three weeks.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

MrWizard
Safety thing
That want to be seen

We own our RV's so we can enjoy travel in comfort
Europeans do a bus tour so they can see other parts of the world
Workout paying out for big hotel expenses
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
Saw one years ago in Intercourse Pennsylvania.
We were in a pop-up close by and I don't remember much noise.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
The paint color is awful. Looks like a large pill....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
There was one like that near us in the Circus Circus lot about 20 years ago. I was watching them as they entered their little quarters at the end of the day. Not for me, but it worked for them .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

bobsinn
Explorer
Explorer
Through the years we have seen them in Montreal and Valdez. Not for me.
2001 Itasca Sundancer 27P
2000 Honda Civic

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved to General RVing

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

MrWizard
i saw a similar bus, in Monument Valley Az, late 80's early 90's ?

Me and my teenage son were there in a dodge camper van

when this big bus rolled, first thing set up was the the dining tables and kitchen

since then i've only seen smaller versions while traveling Calif
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Kentucky_Rambl1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a retired tour bus driver, mainly Western U.S.Tours for Globus Tours. I would occasionally run into these busses. I think they were made by Mercedes. Back then they were a rolling hostel on wheels with younger travels. Where my groups stayed in hotels, that group camped and the driver was encouraged to party with his passengers at night and be as friendly as he wanted.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
My bet is smoking is not allowed in the bunks, and if someone does try, the smoke detectors would be going off.

With as many smokers as it sounds like were on the trip, if even half of them started smoking in the bunks, they'd all die from asphyxiation.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've seen these types of buses before. The advantages seem to be traveling with country men/women in a foreign country perhaps with more travel flexibility and lower cost.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
While it is interesting and efficient I would be concerned about safety.

If folks smoke heavily, as was mentioned, then what if a user were to light up and a fire were to start in one of those bunks at night... the allusion of the OP's reference to Quincy, M.E. might become all too real and become a "little coffin compartment by night."
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
First time I saw one of these was in about 1990 when I was touring Yosemite on my motorcycle. I watched with interest as the tourists all entered their sleeping cocoon when it was time for bed. Definitely not for me but it sure is a unique way to tour.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system