cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help regarding blowouts

JaxCat
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. Just joined and am looking forward to participating in the forum.

I have a tire question, but first a bit of back story. We bought a 2008 Winnebago Aspect 23D about 6 years ago for my mother-in-law to use. She used it infrequently, and made up for it by neglecting maintenance and, when forced to, cheaped out on everything. We took it back a few months ago so we could use it, and have been playing catch-up on things that were broken or long ignored.

What has me flummoxed is that it has had at least 4 blowouts on the rear tires in the last couple of years, including 2 since we took it back. The tires are Dextero and are properly rated in terms of load, speed, and temperature. When we got it back, the tires were grossly underinflated and had been driven more than 500 hundred miles that way, so I am guessing that heat buildup during the underinflated driving damaged the sidewalls.

We have a 1000+ mile trip coming up, and I certainly don't want another episode of smoking rubber at a rest area. My default is to just replace all the tires. They have a lot of tread on them but I don't know the age. (My wife is currently out of town, waiting for roadside assistance to replace a tire, so I can't look up the production date.)

Any words of wisdom?
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well look at the tire age. Sounds like 4 of the tires are 2 years old or less.
Grossly under inflated is a good likely cause of past blowouts or age.
But idk what a Dextero is but it sounds like a cheap tire.
If it were me, I'd be scouring Craigslist for a deal on some new tires.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
A while back I was at a FMCA area rally and got a great chance to have a long and very interesting discussion with Roger Marble (an acknowledged tire expert). He said that without a doubt, heat is the killer of tires. Heat from the sun, heat from running under inflated and heat from the road surface....

New tires compounds are pretty well protected from UV damage, but the heat of solar radiation on black tires cannot be ignored.

So, when you have replace the tires and recorded the sidewall dates in you maintenance log, then find a truck scale and get the real weights (don't just guess) and then look up what the inflation should be for that weight.

Now, in your case, your plan is good. Just replace them now and then exhale.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
ReadyToGo wrote:
All 3 RVs that i have bought used, the first thing I did was replace the tires. Age, tread ware, etc. makes no difference to me. Replace them all.

X1, Could not agree more!!!!!

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
All 3 RVs that i have bought used, the first thing I did was replace the tires. Age, tread ware, etc. makes no difference to me. Replace them all.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tires, depending on who you ask, should be replaced after 5-7 years even if the tread still looks new.. Yours are 9 or 10 years old now.. Mine lasted a bit longer but .... Well flats on motor homes tend to be a nasty thing (Mine was not I got lucky, 2nd flat first was due to hazard damage this one age of tire.

And Tires like to be,, Rolling, Rolling, Rolling / Rolling down the highway, Rolling down the byways RV (Tune Rawhide)

Sitting there soaking up UV rays from the sun without rolling.. VERY BAD

Id' put new rubber on everythign that does not already have it,

IN fact, when my last tire went flat.. I DID just that.

(I got lucky.. As I said RV tires (22.5" XRVs) tend to be nasty.. Well I was workign under the rig due to a systems failure (different system) and happened to look at the inner dual driver's side "Dang. that tire is flat" and so it was. Sidewall failure, ZERO secondary damage.. I GOT LUCKY!!!!!!!!)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regardless of tread wear or quality, tires rot with age. Limited use will actually cause tires to deteriorate faster than tires that are used on a regular basis. I pulled a 4 year old tire from under my truck and found it had to be replaced due to rot; i.e., oxidation and cracking. The maximum safe period for using any tire is about 7 years. Again conditions and lack of use will decrease that period.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I recommend a top line Goodyear LT tire. Post the size and load range etc when you have it available.
Yes, replace all tires or you are just continuing the problem.
Do not cheap-out on tires.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Time for four or five new GY Endurance

Buy new Good Year Tires today!! Trying to save $$$ with inferior tires is a disaster waiting to happen??

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Better ignore the ST tire posts including Goodyear Endurance. I would look at name brand LT tires in the size and load range specified. I would also use a tire dealer you can trust for warranty. Maybe weigh the rig and confirm that the OEM tires were sized/rated sufficiently. Welcome to the forum.

JaxCat
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Isn't the OP referring to a Class C? I'd still replace the tires. Someone needs to suggest what kind.
Yep, Class C, dualies on the back.

JaxCat
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Or six or seven. Cha CHING!

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't the OP referring to a Class C? I'd still replace the tires. Someone needs to suggest what kind.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, replace them all. You are right, heat kills tires, as does long term parked in the sun.

Jerry