cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help wiring bathroom vent fan

stevennlv
Explorer
Explorer
OK, first things first: Dunt danna na! Super genius fails to take picture and falls flat on face!

I'm almost at the end of an ordeal and need just one last little piece of info to cross the finish line.

So the "removable" screen in the bathroom vent and the plastic frame it clips in to disintegrated when I removed the screen for cleaning.

Found parts, order parts, got parts, tried to install parts.

The fan switch was parma-wired in place with crimp connectors and no slack wire. So, after I cut things apart I couldn't get them back together. So I tried to jerry rig it and blew the fuse.

And of course I failed to take a pic of how the switch was wired in b/c "this will only take 5 minutes"!

And of course I don't know jack from squat b/c the only electrical stuff I ever did as labor was to carry the electrician's toolbox and bring him spools and boxes.

So several weeks later, after tons of research, gettin a new fan kit with new motor and new wires and finding all the connectors needed (all of the appropriate gauges, resistances, compositions and impedances) to replicate exactly what was in place to begin with (after the order assistance techs at etrailer.com failed to return my calls) and a voltmeter and a wire tool to put it together what's the one thing I can't find any where in the googles?

A wiring diagram, of course!

Anybody got a link to a wiring diagram for a 12v dc fan on an simple on/off rocker switch?

Any assistance greatly appreciated!!!

Super genius up, up and away to tear up something else!
17 REPLIES 17

stevennlv
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is I don't know how to put it back together. It may be "a simple two wire device" to you. It might as well be theoretical astrophysics to me. I've never done any wiring and all my "hardware" experience is limited to computers. And "wiring" there is all "plug A in slot B".

This video *tells* me everything I need to know:
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-ventline-ventadome-fan-motor-replacement-bvd0218-00.aspx

But does not actually *show* me everything I need to know.

Since I got my bell rung in the roll over wreck 6 months ago figuring out new stuff, especially stuff where I have no prior experience, is difficult. I need a complete, idiot proof, literal *drawn picture* so I can understand the information.

In the video he says this wire hooks to that wire, see it works. Tada.

But he does not actually show this wire being connected to that wire. And yes, I need it spelled out that far for me. I've got six wires: 2 from the fan, 2 from the switch and 2 from the wall. I need a *picture* of how they go together.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have two wires coming from your new fan motor.
You should have two wires in the ceiling that were originally connected to your old fan.
One of those old wires needs to go directly to one of the new fan"s wire.
The other old one needs to go to a terminal on your switch, and then you need to supply a new wire, (make it the same color as the other wire that you just attached) from the other switch terminal and that will connect to the other fan motor lead.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what you're really working on but a fan is just a simple two wire device. I doesn't matter if you switch the ground or the hot wire. Either will shut the fan off. The problem you could run into (if you hook it up backwards) is the fans rotation being wrong causing the fan to blow air in and not out. With a voltmeter, figure out what wire is hot and what wire is ground. The fan may have a red and a black wire. Red goes to hot. Black to ground. If the fan wires are not marked, the wire to the switch is probably the hot one. Some pictures might help us understand your problem.