cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with mold odor in S&B after winters away?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I am very sad to find that my S&B now smells like mold. I thought it would dissipate, airing it out all last summer, but it never did. This year I was only gone two months, but it's much worse.

I need advice!

I'm aware that mold odor is usually caused by water intrusion, rotting, wood, etc. That seems to be definitely not the case this time. The house is new and everything is dry. I think it's just the winter-humid climate, no heat, maybe houseplants contributed.

Last year I resealed the floor and repainted about a third of the house, and that helped a bit. But it was a lot of work.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the present odor and prevent future ones?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
11 REPLIES 11

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Ozone generators are the best way. Search eBay for them. They sell for less than $200 and it's a tool you can use all your life. Cigarette smells, check! Animal smells, check!, Mildew, check! As people say, stay out and take all pets out when you are using it and air out well when done. Works in houses, cars, RVs, etc. Loan it to friends and be a hero. Amazing how well they work, just follow safety rules!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
That mold-musty smell could also be coming from the air conditioner ducts in your house. This is a very, very common source of musty smell.

I understand, if you have an ozone machine, turn it on and turn on the fan part of your central air conditioner and let it run. This kills the mold and mildew that may accumulate in the ductwork. And yes, even if the air conditioner is not running, the odor can permeate from the ducts.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Where is this house? Solutions for different areas will not be the same.

Mold and mildew need very specific temperatures and humidity to develop. Removing moisture and introducing fresh air is usually the most practical solution. Bleach and ozone are good mildewcides.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
To treat the problem try biocides. We used it for Rv mold. Took two treatments but it worked. Check their website. Good luck

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t forget the washing machine ,look at all things that use water and the oil idea is great.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
well maybe its just a dry floor drain, drain traps there job is to keep gases from coming back into the house put a couple buckets of water in each, basement floor drains cause a lot of odor.

if your going to be gone for more than a month or so, put a cup of vegtable oil in each p trap. most any kind will do. it won't evaporate or go rancid so you won't have sewer gas coming in. otherwise, once the water in a p-trap evaporates, you'll get sewer gas in the house.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
well maybe its just a dry floor drain, drain traps there job is to keep gases from coming back into the house put a couple buckets of water in each, basement floor drains cause a lot of odor.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need a dehumidifier that has a hose running to a drain so that it can remove moisture from the air and self drain while you are gone. Either that or you do have a leak somewhere that has not shown up yet.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Don't turn the heat off when you go away.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Jim-Linda wrote:
You might try renting a ozone generator, leave for a few days and see if it improves.

^^This^^

Clothes, bedding, furniture, even curtains can work against you.

If you can get fresh, dry air to circulate through the house, changing the air first can also be helpful. Use exhaust fan blowing OUT and air will enter through whatever windows you open.

For long term avoidance, I hope some others have some advice ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might try renting a ozone generator, leave for a few days and see if it improves.

Jim