cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hensley Arrow question.

Bheffington
Explorer
Explorer
I have found a used (slightly) HA for $900. After fighting my trailer, buying a 3/4 ton Ram CTD, and then new tires, I figured why not spend another $900 to get this trailer to pull right. Yes my weights were all good, but the camper sits about 2 inches nose high. I think this is causing the truck to push some. Anyway, I have to get a longer drop to get the trailer down 2 more inches, as I'm already on the last holes for the WDH. With the Arrow, how do you adjust the height of it? If my truck is too tall with a standard drop and WDH, how can I expect it to hook directly into my receiver? Maybe Im missing something.
3 REPLIES 3

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
They make stingers with 2, 4, and 6 inch drop/rise. Not sure about an 8 inch one. One of those should do the job. If I remember correctly, the Hensley stinger box opening is about 5 inches below the top of the ball.
Barney

According to their website they now make an 8" drop also. They only make the bars in 2" increments because the height/balance of the trailer is not as critical with the Hensley as with a standard WD hitch.

If you want an accurate reading, install the HA on the trailer. Level the trailer as best you can. Measure up from the ground to the bottom of the square hole where the hitch bar (stinger) connects. Add 1/2" because the box is tapered and is 3" square where the stinger is 2" square.

Measure the truck from the ground to the bottom of the receiver. Subtract 1-2" to allow for normal squat with the trailer hooked up. Most trucks sit high in the rear when empty to enable them to sit level when loaded.

Compare the trailer measurement to the truck measurement and that will be your drop. Hensley will exchange stingers for free except that you pay shipping both ways.

The fact that you are 2" nose high now is likely causing some of your instability on the trailer. Even if you can't fix the nose high issue, the HA will make the trailer more stable by virtue of its design. Some will say that you are "masking the root cause" but to me fixed is fixed regardless of how it's done.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
They make stingers with 2, 4, and 6 inch drop/rise. Not sure about an 8 inch one. One of those should do the job. If I remember correctly, the Hensley stinger box opening is about 5 inches below the top of the ball.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

I have found a used (slightly) HA for $900. After fighting my trailer, buying a 3/4 ton Ram CTD, and then new tires, I figured why not spend another $900 to get this trailer to pull right. Yes my weights were all good, but the camper sits about 2 inches nose high. I think this is causing the truck to push some. Anyway, I have to get a longer drop to get the trailer down 2 more inches, as I'm already on the last holes for the WDH. With the Arrow, how do you adjust the height of it? If my truck is too tall with a standard drop and WDH, how can I expect it to hook directly into my receiver? Maybe Im missing something.

Contact Hensley and they will work through your issue until you are level. It will likely require them sending you a different receiver shank.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.