cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High altitude cooking

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons this summer and I'm planning ( at least in my head). I know @ Fishing Bridge there are no outside fires allowed so that leaves out grilling. I've tried to cook in a crockpot in Colorado before & that didn't work. What suggestions do you have for cooking dinner meals ? I'm sure we'll be out exploring during the day & am planning on taking lunch meals with us, but I know my bunch. They'll be hungry in the evenings!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
19 REPLIES 19

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
No issues cooking at elevations up to 10K' although we don't do much crockpot meals when camping as we prefer using a pressure cooker for stews and such.

Campground which you speak of is relatively mild elevation for those of us who live and camp in the Mountain West. Most of our boondocking trips are well over 8K' and we cook whatever we want without hesitation.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We live at a mile high and camp at closer to two miles up. Water boils at a lower temperature so cooking times are extended. Give your crock pot some extra time to do the job and you will be fine.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not trying to belittle your post, but I don't understand. The altitude at Teton Village is roughly 6300' according to Google Earth. That hardly qualifies as high altitude in my experience since we live at 8200' in Colorado and have for 25 years. The only issue we have is baking. You always use less fluid and more flour. We routinely camp at 10000' using crock pots, grilling etc. with no issues. Water does boil at a lower temperature and that difference is noticeable when approaching 10K feet.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
We're going to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons this summer and I'm planning ( at least in my head). I know @ Fishing Bridge there are no outside fires allowed so that leaves out grilling. I've tried to cook in a crockpot in Colorado before & that didn't work. What suggestions do you have for cooking dinner meals ? I'm sure we'll be out exploring during the day & am planning on taking lunch meals with us, but I know my bunch. They'll be hungry in the evenings!

Pressure cookers work well at altitude. Crock pots don't work well because water boiles at a lower temperature at altitude. Pressure cookers allow you to cook at higher temperatures and thus quicker than regular pans. Get a small pressure cooker and a good pressure cooker cookbook. Stews work really well in pressure cookers.

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion: There is another sub-forum here entitled "Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs ". You might receive better feedback there.
‘Love is what’s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.’ - Elain - age 8