cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HITCH WON'T RELEASE...UPDATE UPDATE..........

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
OK got back from a short trip and went to unhook the trailer and I cannot get the hitch to release from the ball. I have had problems with another trailer but after bouncing and kicking it it would eventually release. This time I greased the ball and under the hitch before hooking up, drove home and would not release for nothing. just had to pull the pin and drive the truck away to disconnect, but as u can see the hitch ball still will not come out.
The hitch is a EQUILIZER SWAY CONTROL BRAND, IF THAT HELPS. PICTURE IS A LITTLE DISTORTED, WILL TRY TO REPOST IF IT WOULD HELP FIND A SOLUTION.

WHATS MY PROBLEM if anyone knows??????
thanks

? Did you read the FTS "Announcement : READ BEFORE POSTING HERE"?
    Forum Technical Support (FTS) is reserved for questions related to the use of the Open Roads Forum sites,
    member profile and photo testing, and for reporting account issues. Please avoid using FTS for RV related
    questions. Instead, select the Sub-Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!

Moved from FORUM TECHNICAL SUPPORT

40 REPLIES 40

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
What's that red stuff on what looks like a metal rod in an O shape under the coupler and on top of the hitch head, right in front of the ball?

that is grease that I applied on the ball and hitch, a suggestion that was given to me..

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Tip: When hitching or disconnecting, be sure there isn't any backwards pressure on the hitch.

When connecting, I find it is best if the front of the hitch ball socket is just back a hair so that the weight of the trailer on the hitch will pull the hitch forwards just a tad as it drops into place.

Of course, make sure that top latch is pushed towards the back, there should be a small notch for it.

Unhitching, no back pressure, wheels blocked, lift the hitch a few inches so when the hitch releases, the unloaded back end of the tow vehicle will still sit below the hitch. The latch should be in the unlocked position BEFORE you lift the tongue (with jack). Yes, it may help to step on and bounce the TV bumper to jiggle loose.

BTW, OldBiscuit's pics are excellent!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Hey, glad you figured it out, and that all that was required was a dope slap and a wiggle of the handle. Those are the best solutions to any problem.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
What's that red stuff on what looks like a metal rod in an O shape under the coupler and on top of the hitch head, right in front of the ball?

Are you talking about the grease?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:
OK, may have found out my problem. ...

Glad you figured it out!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
OK, may have found out my problem. Won't know for sure until our next trip.
Feel kind of foolish if this was the problem my whole time but maybe it will help someone else that might not know.
I went out with a screw driver as ppine and htelecric stated and i propped up the hitch and went underneath the ball and stuck the screw driver up there and wiggled it around. Well 2 things happened, one the ball dropped right out and 2 as i wiggled the driver i noticed that the handle on top moved also. well to my surprise I found out that once I lift that handle to disconnect I ALSO HAVE TO PUSH IT BACKWARDS WHICH RELEASES THE LATCH UNDERNEATH, (DUUUUHHHH) I NEVER KNEW THAT AND I WAS JUST PULLING THE HANDLE UP THINKING THAT THAT WAS RELEASING THE LATCH UNDERNEATH.
so I also tried it on my other trailer that would never release and that one also just slid back and released the latch.
So I feel kind of dumb but never towed a trailer and never really knew the proper hooking up. So for anyone out there that might have the same problem and has the same hitch that I do, u might try pushing that handle back once lifting it and hopefully will solve the problem.
Thank you all for help and suggestions and hopefully my problem will be solved.
thanks again.

Below is a picture of the hitch with a arrow pointing to the latch I am talking about...

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
joelyn wrote:
OK got back from a short trip and went to unhook the trailer and I cannot get the hitch to release from the ball. I have had problems with another trailer but after bouncing and kicking it it would eventually release. This time I greased the ball and under the hitch before hooking up, drove home and would not release for nothing. just had to pull the pin and drive the truck away to disconnect, but as u can see the hitch ball still will not come out.
The hitch is a EQUILIZER SWAY CONTROL BRAND, IF THAT HELPS. PICTURE IS A LITTLE DISTORTED, WILL TRY TO REPOST IF IT WOULD HELP FIND A SOLUTION.

WHATS MY PROBLEM if anyone knows??????
thanks

It would really help if we could see the rest of the ball coupler so we can tell the brand and style. From what little I can see, it could be a Shelby coupler or a Fulton and the latch inside is very different between the two.

I know this may be a silly question, but just asking. Is this the first few times you are using this trailer with the latch issues? Don't know if you had it for years or just acquired it. The reason I'm asking is how the latch works. My porior TT tricked me big time on how that latched worked, could not get it uncoupled for nothing. Once I figured it out, I can open it with one finger....
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I currently have an older trailer with a sticky coupling. Soemtimes I have to take a screwdriver and tap the underjaw to free it up.

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
Loosen the adjusting nut, and then take a very large flat head screwdriver and pry between the wedge and ball. Easy Peasy!!!
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
Side latch? That's a Bulldog latch, best one made, but takes a hammer to operate.

Well, Bulldog is a brand, but I hear you. I think sleeve-lock, or collar lock is the correct term for the style.

Hammer ? I've had three trailers with this style latch, and never had to use a hammer to open or close one, so I'm not sure what you are referring to ?

What I am saying is, they easily latch and unlatch.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Side latch? That's a Bulldog latch, best one made, but takes a hammer to operate.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
The ultimate solution to this struggle is to have your local trailer shop change out the coupler to a side latch style.
This is what my horse trailer has on it, very common on horse/stock/construction trailers

https://www.etrailer.com/A-Frame-Trailer-Coupler/Bulldog/BD028499.html

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to using grease on the ball, oil the moving parts in the latch. If the parts are worn or rusted, you might be able to repair the coupler. Parts

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
take a gander at old biscuit's pics and then apply itchy feet's advice.