cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot Tires?

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Ok now I think this is odd. I was taking my boat up and over the mountain to get some maintenance done. I don't trailer this boat but 0.5 mi to the launch ramp twice a year and the mechanic. So I am 12 mi into a 35 mile trip and I pull over to check the bearings on the single axle boat trailer. They feel cool to touch, however the tires are hot. There are no trailer brakes and both sides felt the same. Why would tires only, not the rims or hubs be hot? I slowed way down the rest of the way. Tires are old won't lie, and for sure I am going to change them before they go on this trip again.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
45 REPLIES 45

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Like people have said.....
They were underinflated at 30 psi.
They should be at max which would be 50 psi for load range C.
Guy at discount tire said to always run max sidewall pressure on trailer tires, less heat generated that way.

checked the side wall and it says max @ 35. I put 30

Wow those sound like really light duty tires. What size are they?

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Mkirsh, but of misinfo on your part. Yes plenty of boats get shipped with no trailers, but most runabout to cuddly size boats that are targeted for day trippers and hauling to the lake come straight from the factory on a ......... Trailer.
35psi tires is a small boat/trailer/axle, so 30psi is still reasonable. My mistake, but get some new tires anyway.

Oh with out a doubt that is what I am going to do. I plan to get the weight first then get appropriate tires.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mkirsh, but of misinfo on your part. Yes plenty of boats get shipped with no trailers, but most runabout to cuddly size boats that are targeted for day trippers and hauling to the lake come straight from the factory on a ......... Trailer.
35psi tires is a small boat/trailer/axle, so 30psi is still reasonable. My mistake, but get some new tires anyway.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Guy at discount tire said to always run max sidewall pressure on trailer tires, less heat generated that way.

checked the side wall and it says max @ 35. I put 30
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nother keyboard subject matter expert vs OP who hasn't yet given any qualitative data to talk about, including tire/rim/size/weight etc, only to say they had 30psi verified.
Easy solution 12 year old tires, spend the $150 to get a couple new ones, or don't because you usually only tow it 1 mile per year!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
Tire set up is how this has been rolling down the road since 2006. Single axle, not overloaded because it is designed for that boat. Nothing else was in the boat. I inflated the tires to 30 lbs and they have always been jacked up off the ground for winter storage. I agree that I was close to tire failure but I just couldn't understand why they got so hot when the conditions were ideal and the load was normal.

How hot was "hot"? Too hot to touch, lukewarm, melting into a gooey mess? 20 to 30 degrees above ambient?
Probably normal, unless the tread ran into the storm drain as a liquid when you pulled over.

I am with Ralph. Unless we know what "hot" is everyone is just tossing out ideas for a problem that may not exist.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If ST trailer tires, internal heat buildup will kill them - from being under-inflated, overloaded and/or towed over speed rating. Internal damage is cumulative too. If they've not been treated correctly for some time or history is unknown, I'd replace them pdq.

Tires do heat up though from travelling down the road and the pressure will go up which is perfectly normal. Without an IR gun, you're guessing as to them being too hot. Tires on one side of a trailer can get much hotter too if one side is out of direct sunlight. Have you set the pressure "cold" before heading out on the road? 30 psi is waay too low if LRC ST tires and asking for a tire failure.

You might take a read through the RVtiresafety.net blog and post on tire temp. here and his posts on ST tire pressure.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
not overloaded because it is designed for that boat.

Ok, then magic, I guess.

Seriously, you can't say that because we've already had one person in this thread prove that it is not necessarily the case. 2900+lb boat on a 2500lb axle. Overloaded.

Boats and trailers are matched by the boat dealer, not the factory. They are just like RV dealers, not knowing a %$#@ thing about trailer ratings, weights, or towing. They just put the boat on whatever trailer is cheapest, and fits the boat. If everyone is lucky the boat isn't heavier than the trailer is rated to carry.

Then you throw in the owner. Owners tend to know even less about weights and towing, and if they buy the boat out of the water, they have to find a trailer to haul it and they'll just buy the first boat trailer they come across.

I never bought that boat at a dealer. It was thrown in on a house deal, so why would I think that a boat the previous owner purchased from a dealer wouldn't be matched for weight. You assume that all dealers are idiots and mismatch what they sell you. Not really so and you know it so don't mislead here. I will do the prudent thing here and get it weighed only so I can make sure the new tires are matched correctly. Also good to point out that if the trailer set up was not correct for the boat, then the bearings would be hot as well by carrying to heavy of a load and they run cool.
We love our Westie

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Particularly if a guy walks into the boat dealer on Wednesday evening, agrees on a price on a boat, and wants it for this comming weekend.. the salesman knows better than to say โ€œwe donโ€™t have an appropriate trailer in stock, but I can get it here in a few days.โ€
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
SweetLou wrote:
not overloaded because it is designed for that boat.

Ok, then magic, I guess.

Seriously, you can't say that because we've already had one person in this thread prove that it is not necessarily the case. 2900+lb boat on a 2500lb axle. Overloaded.

Boats and trailers are matched by the boat dealer, not the factory. They are just like RV dealers, not knowing a %$#@ thing about trailer ratings, weights, or towing. They just put the boat on whatever trailer is cheapest, and fits the boat. If everyone is lucky the boat isn't heavier than the trailer is rated to carry.

Then you throw in the owner. Owners tend to know even less about weights and towing, and if they buy the boat out of the water, they have to find a trailer to haul it and they'll just buy the first boat trailer they come across.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ron3rd wrote:
Fwiw, trailer axles are supposed to be "bowed"

Not that way. Axles are supposed to "frown" at you, not "smile."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
All good info. Everything points to tires being old and check the weight. Aged out and time to get new shoes.
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
Tire set up is how this has been rolling down the road since 2006. Single axle, not overloaded because it is designed for that boat. Nothing else was in the boat. [COLOR=]I inflated the tires to 30 lbs and they have always been jacked up off the ground for winter storage. I agree that I was close to tire failure but I just couldn't understand why they got so hot when the conditions were ideal and the load was normal.

Under inflated, If correct pressure, wrong tire, not a trailer tire.
If trailer tire, needs to 50 psi

From experience, I never fully inflate a very old tire. I stay 5 psi short because they do blow. I assume that these tires are from 2006 as the boat was when it came in a house deal. They will be changed but I just didn't know what could cause this to happen.
We love our Westie

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
You said both tires felt the same. That is a very good sign. Make sure theyโ€™re fully inflated. You might want to check the DOT #. The first two numbers are the week they were manufactured and the last two are the year. Even with the care youโ€™ve taken of them they time out at about 5 years. At that point theyโ€™re getting risky, time for babyโ€™s new shoes.