cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot Tires?

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Ok now I think this is odd. I was taking my boat up and over the mountain to get some maintenance done. I don't trailer this boat but 0.5 mi to the launch ramp twice a year and the mechanic. So I am 12 mi into a 35 mile trip and I pull over to check the bearings on the single axle boat trailer. They feel cool to touch, however the tires are hot. There are no trailer brakes and both sides felt the same. Why would tires only, not the rims or hubs be hot? I slowed way down the rest of the way. Tires are old won't lie, and for sure I am going to change them before they go on this trip again.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
45 REPLIES 45

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
routeforty wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Yeah, probably overloaded. Often times you'll roll up on someone towing a boat on those spindly little 12" tires, and you can see they're clearly overtaxing the tires and axle, as the wheels are splayed out at a 15 degree angle to vertical.

What size tires? What is the weight rating? What boat?
Amen to that. I noticed our pontoon trailer tires wearing on the inside, then looked at the axle, which was bowed so badly it looked like it was smiling at me. Took it to a scale and the gross weight was 2950lbs on a 2500lb axle. Had it changed to a 3500lb axle and end of problem. This was a brand new boat & trailer with only 2 trips from Oh to Fl, and about 10 trips to the lake. Maybe 4000 miles(but probably less).Gary

Fwiw, trailer axles are supposed to be "bowed"

It produces camber
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is Load range C tires, max load pressure should be 50 psi.

When taking delivery of our brand new Coleman TT, a couple of months ago, the dealer (Camping World), handed me a sheet, 3 columns of items/systems they โ€œcheckedโ€. One item was tire pressure and written in was โ€œinflated to 65 psiโ€.

I towed it home, about 90 miles. Got to thinking about the tire/load sticker on the left front of the trailer. It states Load Range C tires, max load 50 psi. Confirmed by looking at the tires.

So I checked, looking for 65 psi. First tire read 35. The rest were between 35 and 40. Luckily the trailer wasnโ€™t loaded. Had I not checked, loaded up and left on a trip... Probably not good.

I had a โ€œchatโ€ with the salesman concerning the issue.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Were they fully inflated? Underinflated tires can overheat.

x2
the small 20.5x8.0-10 tires on our pontoon boat trailer have a recommended psi of 90

the previous owner we bought the boat from ran about 40psi because he thought 90 was too much

i run 90 psi

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, read the sidewall of the tire. What max pressure does it say? Use that, then get back to us.

Also, if the tire says 50 psi, those tires are toast and you should replace them right away.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
SweetLou wrote:
Tire set up is how this has been rolling down the road since 2006. Single axle, not overloaded because it is designed for that boat. Nothing else was in the boat. [COLOR=]I inflated the tires to 30 lbs and they have always been jacked up off the ground for winter storage. I agree that I was close to tire failure but I just couldn't understand why they got so hot when the conditions were ideal and the load was normal.

Under inflated, If correct pressure, wrong tire, not a trailer tire.
If trailer tire, needs to 50 psi
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
SweetLou wrote:
Tire set up is how this has been rolling down the road since 2006. Single axle, not overloaded because it is designed for that boat. Nothing else was in the boat. I inflated the tires to 30 lbs and they have always been jacked up off the ground for winter storage. I agree that I was close to tire failure but I just couldn't understand why they got so hot when the conditions were ideal and the load was normal.

How hot was "hot"? Too hot to touch, lukewarm, melting into a gooey mess? 20 to 30 degrees above ambient?
Probably normal, unless the tread ran into the storm drain as a liquid when you pulled over.

By the time this runs it's course you'll need new tires, or an axle, or a new trailer. Possibly a new boat and a 1 ton diesel dually also. What's the payload of the TV? Have you been to the cat scale every time you throw an extra ultralight fishing rod in the boat and change your weight?

Get a TPMS regardless of my sarcasm.....cheap insurance. If I could lay my hand on them without getting a blister I wouldn't worry much. You should feel how hot the tires get on one of our 45' flats with about 48K lbs of concrete products loaded after 10 miles.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Tire set up is how this has been rolling down the road since 2006. Single axle, not overloaded because it is designed for that boat. Nothing else was in the boat. I inflated the tires to 30 lbs and they have always been jacked up off the ground for winter storage. I agree that I was close to tire failure but I just couldn't understand why they got so hot when the conditions were ideal and the load was normal.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
What was the temperature of the pavement the tires were running on?

It was only 60 degrees outside
We love our Westie

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Were they fully inflated? Underinflated tires can overheat.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Yeah, probably overloaded. Often times you'll roll up on someone towing a boat on those spindly little 12" tires, and you can see they're clearly overtaxing the tires and axle, as the wheels are splayed out at a 15 degree angle to vertical.

Amen to that. I noticed our pontoon trailer tires wearing on the inside, then looked at the axle, which was bowed so badly it looked like it was smiling at me. Took it to a scale and the gross weight was 2950lbs on a 2500lb axle. Had it changed to a 3500lb axle and end of problem. This was a brand new boat & trailer with only 2 trips from Oh to Fl, and about 10 trips to the lake. Maybe 4000 miles(but probably less).Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I heard a loud bang in front of my house, and saw that a boat trailer tire had blown. Hopped on my motorcycle to see if he needed help and maybe sell him one of my excess spares. Followed that rubber trail, turned scrape mark for ten miles and then turned back. See, you don't need no stinkin' tires.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tires on most single axle boat trailers are very close to overloaded even when fully inflated.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the tire pressure?? Tires get warm/hot from just rolling down the road, low pressure or load will cause them to heat up.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
High tire temp is one of the signs prior to a tire blowing. If you install TPMS on your setup, they will alert you to rising tire temp or PSI dropping. Both signs to pull over....