cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How can I remove a huge decal

Uwharrie
Explorer
Explorer
My used class C came with a huge picture decal across the entire cabover front. I should have had the dealer remove it but did not think about it at the time. Any suggestions on how to remove it?
10 REPLIES 10

Uwharrie
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone. I figured a hairdryer ( and TALL ladder) might do the trick. As for fading I am already planning a replacement. ( as soon as I can get some photos of the hounds sharp enough to print in a 3x5 decal

Uwharrie
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought of that, But I am pretty sure this one is not hiding anything.

garyhaupt wrote:
The other thing about decals...they are often applied to hide something. Holes, scratches, rips and tears. Hopefully that isn't the case here. Once a person has been burned..forever do they insist all decals be removed prior to purchase.

Gary Haupt

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Double post.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Sun is your friend when removing decals.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
The other thing about decals...they are often applied to hide something. Holes, scratches, rips and tears. Hopefully that isn't the case here. Once a person has been burned..forever do they insist all decals be removed prior to purchase.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, I've had mine on the truck for 5 yrs but it was a "Pressure Stick Decal" vinyl and the "Ghost" is there, but able to rub it out.. that's the good news..
heheh,
The bad news is, of course, once you start you'll have to rub the rest out or blend it in.. I used a finishing cleaner that worked too..

Depends on the "Sticky" stuff they used for the decal. But I've had good luck with it.

WAS:

now:

slight ghost, but dissappeared when smoothed/buffed/rubbed out...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
It also depends on how long it has been on. When I removed mine I tried a hair dryer and then a heat gun but the best thing was the eraser wheel. I did not use the 3M version but a similar item that I purchased from Amazon for about half of the price. Another thing to remember is that if it has been on for any length of time you will end up with a ghost image due to the difference in color from the area protected by the decal and the rest of the unit that has been exposed to the sun.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, hair dryer works or a heat gun to the next level, but carefuly you're not trying to "Melt it off".. just soften it a little and gently pull it off in one piece if you can..

Use the Hair Dryer as they do with hair, not too close/hot but a steady warm wave...
I just removed 3 today off my truck and a big one off my Tear Drop Trailer.. just keep a warm steady heat to it..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
3M eraser wheel .
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Use a hair dryer on it. That'll loosen the glue and then you peel. Start at a corner and work your way thru.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/