cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How often do you wash your rig when camping on the beach

Rheevs
Explorer
Explorer
I am spending some time on the gulf in Texas. I am planning to utilize the State and national parks to camp on the beach.The salt water and corrosion bothers me a bit :h. How often should I be washing or rinsing the vehicles :@

Life Is A Journey Not A Destination

Good Luck !
Vicki and Ed

2013 Winnebago Adventurer WFJ35P
The Saratoga
8 REPLIES 8

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive it in a rain storm! that at least works for me. When we came back from Myrtle Beach it rained somewhere in NC? I`m sure it was rinsed way better than a car wash could do!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Wash both the tt and truck , as well as awning if it was extended. Wash after each trip to beach. Breeze is ususlly on shore so salt spray travels. We camp only 100 feet from Atlantic ocean in FL.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Beach camping is about all we do, and when the tide is in the water is within 15' of the coach. couple that with onshore breeze and you have unlimited salt spray.

Wash the rig top to bottom, including the underside.... ALL of it, and you'll be fine.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Rheevs wrote:
I am spending some time on the gulf in Texas. I am planning to utilize the State and national parks to camp on the beach.The salt water and corrosion bothers me a bit :h. How often should I be washing or rinsing the vehicles :@

You could very well be camping in what is known as a hyper saline area. There are only about five in the world and those that think they know salt water have no idea of the damage that this stuff can do in a very short time to the unprepared.

I would rinse my rig and car down right after each morning's dew. If you're driving on the beach then rinse off the underside as soon as you get back. Some that went out onto the beach out of Port Aransas had slide issues after only one week of sitting. Others will have brake issues. The longer you stay out there, the worst things get if you're not vigilant.

This is one of those times when it's key to ask the locals for their advice.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If I may add one bit of info for you. so many people worry about the skin of the TT and salt water. My in laws bought a TT from the Oregon Coast and the frame, axles and the springs were so rusty I thought he would pull the body right off the frame and running gear. so if you go through a wand car wash be sure you get the under side also.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We camp often on the beach in California. I wash the RV when we get back home before it goes back to storage. A good wax job holds up well to the salt air.

Touch-up any chips or nicks in painted areas to keep rust from grabbing hold.

Our RV is 20 years old and has spent it's life at the beach or within 6 miles of the ocean. It still looks new.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I'd hose it down once a week (if the RV Park allows that) and the great advice to lube doorkeys and stabilizers and any other moving part is also great advice!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We just did it when we left at a good car wash in Port-A. Only stayed 2 weeks. Remember to wipe down and relube stabilizers if it is a TT.