cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car carriers are the worst

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Forgive me as I rant, but I think that car carriers are probably the worst thing to pass me or pass by. They seem to produce a very erratic wind pattern and most of the time I see them pass me by, the back of the carrier is wandering around the lane and even comes in to my lane at times.

It appears to me that these things are far more articulate than normal trailers and the drivers seem to have a harder time controlling them.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
13 REPLIES 13

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, look where the pivot point is on a car carrier. it is behind the rear axle just like a regular TT.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I always found box trucks the most disturbing as they passed. It did not matter if I was driving a M/H or a TT they always had worst disturbance.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
"I'm mostly concerned about their inability to stay in their own lanes during windy condition."

I have noticed that about many drivers no matter what vehicle they were operating, from sub-compact cars to triple towing tractors.

That's when being alert and defensive driving skills are invaluable.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
neil57 wrote:
X2 Maybe its the OP unit that is unstable. Car carriers do have a lot of wind drag, so create alot of turbulance. If you unit has balance or overload issues it may effect it more.JMHO
I'm mostly concerned about their inability to stay in their own lanes during windy condition. My new coach doesn't really notice when they pass me other than I'm freaking out about how close they get.

My old coach used to get pushed very significantly, especially before my handling fixes.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tankers are the worst. The tankers that are hauling the beer for the Hooters Bikini Team especially.
Puma 30RKSS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The log trucks don't bother me.

But, I have noticed I tend to lose control when being passed by a bus carrying the Hooters Bikini Team. ๐Ÿ™‚

neil57
Explorer
Explorer
X2 Maybe its the OP unit that is unstable. Car carriers do have a lot of wind drag, so create alot of turbulance. If you unit has balance or overload issues it may effect it more.JMHO
2009 2500HD Sierra CC DA
2014 Crossroads Cruiser 35ss

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Log haulers and dump trucks (When I blew my engine there were lost of Log haulers about,,,, I blew it across the road from their destination). have fairly consistent slip stream patterns. But the O/P is right, slip stream (wind) patterns on portable parking lots are far more complex.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Never really notice never been moved by passing or being passed by a large truck.

Agree. Seems no different than when I drove a truck or bus.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never really notice never been moved by passing or being passed by a large truck.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I agree and have always said that car haulers were the worst. Since I upgraded from a half ton to a 2500HD I generally pass them, problem solved.:B

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, log trucks & dump trucks are worst ! Local haulers always know where scales are open and DOT is waiting.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It looks to me like an awful lot of them are way overloaded. And speeding.