cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How steep was it?

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a shot I took last fall while visiting our friends in Nevada City, (northern California gold country). It was taken just outside of Nevada City/Grass Valley. Fortunately this steep section of the road is only a little more than a quarter of a mile. In the winter it is totally impassable even with 4 X 4 and necessitates a serious detour. I've seen my share of steep roads down here in Arizona, 8% to 10% is not unusual but this one takes the prize. :E

39 REPLIES 39

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some Steep Streets in the US.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
That 31% slope equals about 1 foot rise in a run of 3 feet. Much more comfortable going up.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder how steep Old Priest Grade is in CA?

We went up that once in our 3-speed column shift Dodge 3/4 ton camper van and it barely could pull it in first gear, as only 3-speed manual shift gearing results in a tall first gear - plus we had over-diameter sized tires on it which made all of it's gear ratios even taller. (We got 18 MPG out of it's 318 V8 on camping trips, however ... this was using 1972 V8 engine technology.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Fishinghat wrote:
The grade in degrees is normally a percentage of a 45 degree angle. So, 31% would be about 16 degrees. That's still a very steep hill, but "doable". A 31 degree hill would be about double in slope and I'm not sure a typical wheeled vehicle could navigate it.

On the other hand, I've never been there and it could be much different than what I think the sign implies.

I'm thinking the sign maker confused degrees with percentage.

Slope
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
The grade in degrees is normally a percentage of a 45 degree angle. So, 31% would be about 16 degrees. That's still a very steep hill, but "doable". A 31 degree hill would be about double in slope and I'm not sure a typical wheeled vehicle could navigate it.

On the other hand, I've never been there and it could be much different than what I think the sign implies.

I'm thinking the sign maker confused degrees with percentage.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:
Did you drive it? Was it actually that steep? Usually the percentage of incline is relative to the terrain and not that bad.

That would be "Yes" and "Yes", down it and back up again. Just to make it even more fun the road is narrow, curving, virtually no shoulder and lined with trees. :E

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
18% is the worst I've ever seen. Yours is a roller coaster!!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah. If it's a straight downhill shot and not all that far and you have some run out at the bottom it's not a problem at all. But how do you know that out traveling cross country?
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
:E That would get the adrenaline flowing. I have to laugh at the picture on the sign, nobody in their right mind would try it in one of those.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Did you drive it? Was it actually that steep? Usually the percentage of incline is relative to the terrain and not that bad.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton