cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadmaster Universal Wiring kit (2000 Durango)

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
I have purchased the Roadmaster Universal Wiring kit with diodes and am preparing to install it on my 2000 Durango (toad) The rotten weather has kept me inside and allowed me to read the instructions over and over again to the point that I am questioning everything. Roadmaster publishes vehicle specific application information but it does not match what my own eyes are telling me. Their guide tells me a 2000 Durango has a combined brake and turn signal taillight but It looks to me like it is separate. Anyone ever work with this kit before. I am also driving up to the storage lot to check my coach, its a 1999 Fleetwood flair on the V10 ford, is it separate or combined?
4 REPLIES 4

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I sympathize with your problems. Really. Electrical problems are probably the worst kind....

IF you give up with the diode kit...might I suggest magnetic lights for the toad? My experience: with my 2007 Chevvy HHR, I had the dealer do the install....but for my 2011 Ford Ranger, the same dealer said not to use any diode kit....the (newer) electronics might send a phoney "alarm" (= the "check engine light") and said to just use the magnetic lights with the standard flat four hookup.

Works for me................

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
OK so spent all day under coach and toad and I am starting to feel like I have never worked on a vehicle electrical system before. Started the day hooking diode kit up to the toad, rather uneventful (I thought) then I pulled the wiring harness out from the back of the coach and verified my 4 wire delivery to the toad. plugged it in and nothing, rechecked the 4 wire output on coach and guess I shorted something out because now no right rear blinker on coach. Funny thing is the front still blinks with normal cadence. Started tracing wiring back and noticed that there appears to be two sets of wiring going to the rear, the disturbing part is that there also looks to be quite a bit of previous work done and its messy. QUESTIONS

1 Does the 1999 Ford Chassis have 2 sets of wiring going to the rear lights, one for coach and one for trailer (toad)?
2, Can anyone tell me how to get to the fuse box on 1 1999 Flair? I know where it is but have tried every angle to squeeze past driver seat and under dash seems I might have to remove drivers seat! I am 6'2" 220 that's kind of big but not the largest guy around.

I don't particularly like working on electrical problems but over the years I have learned to tolerate the trouble shooting process. Today however has tested my nerves

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, I called them and they just took my word for it that their print was wrong. I just brought the coach back from storage and with the DW at the wheel of both vehicles so I could verify we have a combination coach connecting to a separate toad. The Roadmaster instructions appear to be fairly comprehensive so if this dang Michigan winter would ever go I can go crawl around underneath and wire this thing up

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps you might call Roadmaster...they have an 1-800 number...explain what the difference is between what the kit says and what you have....they will surely advise you.

g'luck!