cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare propane tank mount

CR_CRUISER
Explorer
Explorer
I have been transporting the 20 pound tank for the BBQ in the forward cargo bay of the fifth wheel. I don't like the thought of having it located where it is basically inside the living area.

I've been thinking about building a mount on the rear bumper but I'm not sure if it is legal to carry it there. I could carry it in the box of the pickup but they are a pain to secure.

Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES 6

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I use a milk crate for transporting my 30 lb tanks for refilling, but use a 6 lb and 11 lb tank for grilling, an outside portable oven and for an on demand water heater I use for outside camp kitchen hot water. The smaller tanks are carried in the bed of the truck in whatever "hole" they will fit and not roll around.

I used to carry a spare 20 lb tank for an older smaller trailer when boondocking but I usually set it in the row of 5 - 5 gallon gas cans for the generator all cable locked in the truck bed.:B

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
See nomad297 above.

Hi All. We have done exactely this way of carring a Spare 20 Lb Propane Tank for so many years, we can even begin to count them.

Works even better if you Trucks bed is sprayed with a Bed-Liner. It never slides around at all. Plus you can always su=ecure it to something in one of the corners up behind the cab of the truck.

I even took some time to find Plastic Boxes, just like the ones for "Milk Jug,s" but for 30 Lb Propane Tanks. Being long "Time Boon-Dockers", Like 46+ years, we have never run out of anything.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jillk. & two Small "YORKIE KIDS", who love to go out on the road as much as we do.
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Ours rides in a plastic milk crate in the truck bed. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
See nomad297 above.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
CR CRUISER wrote:
I could carry it in the box of the pickup but they are a pain to secure.

Any suggestions?

I store mine in the bed of the pickup. Securing is no problem at all. I place mine inside a plastic milk crate -- it's always a perfect fit.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
For safety sake, please don't carry it on the rear bumper.