cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I'm Going Dingy... Help

freestoneangler
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I though narrowing the field of which class A was challenging enough... now we're looking to replace our 1998 Ford Explorer and I want to make sure whatever we get can be safely flat-towed. Getting into all this has me considering going back to our original plan... a 5Ver!

I have found the Motorhome website that lists the 2013 vehicles they say are flat tow safe... but see tons of info on this subject that would suggest those are not the only vehicles OK to tow.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of vehicles that can be safely flat towed?
7 REPLIES 7

freestoneangler
Explorer
Explorer
The REMCO site seems pretty good. Thanks

http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
freestoneangler wrote:
Wow, I though narrowing the field of which class A was challenging enough... now we're looking to replace our 1998 Ford Explorer and I want to make sure whatever we get can be safely flat-towed. Getting into all this has me considering going back to our original plan... a 5Ver!

I have found the Motorhome website that lists the 2013 vehicles they say are flat tow safe... but see tons of info on this subject that would suggest those are not the only vehicles OK to tow.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of vehicles that can be safely flat towed?

Here is a link from another posting on this forum that might be of help.

http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/rv-towing-guide-washington
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
To my belief, there are four sources of towability information:
1. Vehicle Manufacturers Via Owner Manuals - This should be most reliable
2. MoHo Magazine Annual Listing - This is supposed to be a summary of 1. and accurate unless MoHo made clerical errors. MoHo says they list ONLY those certified by MFR (which is why it should mirror 1.)
3. REMCO Towing - Not sure how to classify this, but it purports to tell you which are towable without modification, with their modification kits, on dolly, on trailer (on trailer being essentially non-towable)
4. Anecdotal Comments - People saying "Well, I towed my XYZ a million miles no problem." - This group either doesn't know or doesn't care what MFR says, but there's a subset who tow vehicles too old to have a "Recreational Towing" recommendation in their Owner Manual.

And that reminds me, you want to be sure you're looking at the long distance/recreational towing, not short distance towing as from an accident or breakdown.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
In general, any manual transmission or 4 wheel drive can be flat towed. For automatics you may need modifications or have towing restrictions.
We tow a 2008 Chevy Colorado 4 door 4 wheel drive pickup. A button on the dash disconnects the drive shaft (puts the transfer case in neutral) for easy towing. Only had to put on the tow brackets. The Dinghy Guide is pretty comprehensive. If you don't see the vehicle on that list you could ask on this forum if anyone is towing it.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
As Fire Up states, the Motorhome magazine Dinghy Guide is the go to list. If you narrow down your search based on your own requirements, you should be less overwhelmed. For example, when I was choosing, I only wanted an SUV, only wanted auto transmission (many cars shown on the list are NOT towable with auto trans.), wanted the weight to be under 4,000 lbs., etc. So I actually found very few vehicles to match my wants. Therefore the choice became very easy.

I always check the owner's manual of the actual car before I buy, even if the car is on the list.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
freestoneangler wrote:

freestoneangler,
The "Dinghy Towing Guide", put out by either Motor Home Magazine or, Trailer Life Magazine is primarily the unilateral source for looking at what model of maker, is or, is not, flat towable. If you're liking a certain make/model/type of vehicle in terms of your next daily mode of transportation, then check that source to see if it's flat towable.

Then, to really get down and dirty and REALLY make sure, go to the owners manual of that particular car/truck/SUV etc. and look up the section on flat towing it. I won't begin to tell you all of the models I know are flat towable. Because you can find that out like stated, easily in the Dinghy Towing Guide for that year vehicle you're thinking about. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

freestoneangler
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a used Ford Escape... until I found this:
http://www.maliasmiles.com/blog/2009-ford-escape-dinghy/

This after just after having read this:
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/10FLMrvESCAPREsep09.pdf

I have to imagine many have gone through the same research and shaking of the head. Seems like some reputable group would have developed a reference guide of which vehicles can be safely flat towed... unless the one by motor-homes magazine is it?? The 5ver route is looking better and better.