cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How steep was it?

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a shot I took last fall while visiting our friends in Nevada City, (northern California gold country). It was taken just outside of Nevada City/Grass Valley. Fortunately this steep section of the road is only a little more than a quarter of a mile. In the winter it is totally impassable even with 4 X 4 and necessitates a serious detour. I've seen my share of steep roads down here in Arizona, 8% to 10% is not unusual but this one takes the prize. :E

39 REPLIES 39

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, even when they start going downhill... like this one (Pun intended), they are almost always entertaining. :B

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Geeze, people aren't arguing here. Just because a topic drifts, doesn't mean anything's wrong. To be honest, you can only go so far with a 31% grade post. ๐Ÿ™‚

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
OP here: Yes, I was just trying to share an interesting experience. Wasn't looking for a remedial math class. I guess it is impossible to post anything here without someone wanting to argue. :S

The folks at Cal Trans have been engineering the roads in California for quite some time and if they post a sign that says "31%" trust me it is a 31% grade (and yes that is 31' of drop for every 100" of horizontal travel. If anyone out there knows more than the engineers at Cal Trans I am sure they would love to hear from you. Break that down anyway you like, it is a very freaking steep road.

In conclusion all I can say is "lighten up", downshift and please don't ride your brakes. :R

Brother, the world will never be rid of those who have to argue if white is white or that it's actually black with all the darkness removed. :R

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Raften wrote:
Turning up Old Priest Grade in a big motor home must have surely been an accident. I have been up and down it for the last 40 years but wow, a MH, I can only imagine what that was like. Everyone should go both East and West on Sonora Pass once, get your heart rate up a bit.

My daughter was my acting co-pilot and put too much faith in the GPS but since no one got hurt it was a learning lesson. We were thankful we had the old MH up in good shape including the new 5 row recored radiator. Going up at least speeding and brakes were not an issue. We went out the Fresno side and it was a piece of cake.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever wonder what your driveway slope is, this is what I do. Put a level on a 2x4 up the hill from your location. Use a tape measure and find 1 foot vertical difference from that horizontal 2x4. Then measure the level horizontal distance. Divide that horizontal distance into 100 and you will have your % slope.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Turning up Old Priest Grade in a big motor home must have surely been an accident. I have been up and down it for the last 40 years but wow, a MH, I can only imagine what that was like. Everyone should go both East and West on Sonora Pass once, get your heart rate up a bit.

Edit, meeting big trucks on the Old were a huge problem before the built the New.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

scroller95969
Explorer
Explorer
Sonora pass has a 26% grade.
Jeff & Lori
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 22B - Chevy chassis
10' Wells cargo trailer
Gracie Mae - our 9 year old Papillon

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
A bit off topic but just for fun ... at the top of the world, here's the record holder for the highest altitude (somewhat North of 21,000 feet) ever achieved by a wheeled vehicle - I'll bet they had to go up (and down) some steep grades:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚

2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge

LBL_1206
Explorer
Explorer
I have ridden those highways to and from Nevada City on motorcycle.
No matter the math, they are steep, curvy, fun, and few have a pucker factor rating of 9 out of 10.

BBFD
Explorer
Explorer
Not to hijack the thread but my inlaws live on the Big Island in Hawaii and I took their Honda Pilot (4WD) down the road to the Waipoi Valley which is the steepest in the country. It is one way with pull offs every few hundred feet to pass. Uphill traffic gets right of way and quite a white knuckle ride! All locals on the road and not something I will likely do again!
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie CTD
2017 KZ Durango 292BHT

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a good visual, consider a common ranch style house roof pitch of 4:12 which is 33%. Now make a road that steep!