cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I Need Help! Determining the Right Fiver Hitch

On_theProwl
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to make sure I purchase and install the correct fiver hitch that allows me enough vertical adjustment. I have to install the hitch and drive 3 hrs to get fiver, so I need to make sure I have the right hitch. I have taken some measurements so maybe someone can help me out.

From ground to top of bed rail is 59.5 inches.
From ground to floor of truck bed is 39 inches.
From ground to bottom of King pin on fiver is 46 inches
From ground to bottom front cap is 59 inches.

All measurements taken while both were sitting level. I need to make sure I have enough vertical adjustment, to tow as close to level as possible, and maintain enough clearance between truck bed and front cap on fiver.

Can anyone help me?
2016 Jayco Eagle 325BHDS
2014 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 6.7 Cummins
1 REPLY 1

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you need to set the hitch so the 5th wheel plate when level is about 4" below the bed rails. That should give about 6" clearance from bed rails to underside of trailer body, at the kingpin's centerline, left to right. The level of the trailer will depend alot on how much the truck's rear end sags under the hitch weight, and that will, in turn, affect how much trailer body to bed rail clearance there is at the rear of the truck bed (tailgate).

Pick a hitch that will give you some adjustment in both directions when the plate is set to about 4" below the bed rails.

Until you can adjust the trailer's suspension height, the important measurement is going to have to be clearance above the bed rails at the rear of the bed. Towing the trailer level will have to be of least importance, for now.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear