cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Importing US RV's to Canada - (Cdn./CSA Standards)

Ryderdad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering purchasing a new Thor Axis Class A in the US and importing it to Canada. I'm somewhat familiar with the Cdn. "RIV" process having previously imported a motorcycle; e.g.: daytime running lights and speedo showing Kmh as well as MPH. However there are obviously a lot more potential technical issues with an RV. Canadian dealers suggest one may encounter significant costs to bring a US unit up to Cdn. standards, notably in areas of water and/or propane plumbing, and electrical wiring. I also note previous comments on this site suggesting late model US RV's may already meet the standards, vs. older units.

I'd be interested in anyone's real-world experiences with such importation issues in general. In particular I'd be interested if anyone knows whether the "US" 2014/2015 Axis Class A's meet the Cdn./CSA standards (including daytime running lights) or whether one may expect to encounter some problems post-importation in that area. Thanks much.
3 REPLIES 3

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Where in the USA is the dealership that is selling the New RV?
We have had no problem getting ICBC to insure ant of Our purchases from the States. They simply issue a Rider on Your existing Vehicle !
We have also had No Problem getting a Transfer Permit from either the Dealer or From the DMV nearby the Seller!
Naturally You can't just head off Willy Nilly without doing due diligence! You need the correct Documentation and Follow the proper procedures re US Export. notification .
As far as Any deficiencies there might be between Canadian and US Standards,that is an area that is used frequently by Canadian Dealers as another way to frighten people into paying extra for No Good Reason.

The CSA Standards , which We Canucks have held as The Worlds Best. Has been used all over the World for Many Years. Sure there are products that don't measure up but by and large all the stuff that You are likely to find installed by the Manufacturer of an RV are going to be the same in The USA as in Canada!

We have been importing RV 's and Boats from the USA since 1990 . Have never had any problems whatsoever!

Warranties and Recalls are honoured by All the various Appliance Manufacturers.

The Chassis and Powertrain are covered as well.

The Only Hurdle is that some Dealerships can be a PITA when they know that You didn't buy from Them! Not a big deal in My opinion ,just deal with someone else or the Manufacturer Directly!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
No problem importing an approved RV to Canada. (VIC46 covered most of it) (Approved meaning it has to be on the list). Dealers can only import CSA approved RV's. Private citizens can import anything thats on the list. If its new, touch base with the manufacturer and check that the manufacturer will honour the warranty and more specifically where. Depending on which province you may have to use a non ticketed tech for certain work as a ticketed tech won't be allowed to, for example, be able work on a non CSA propane system without altering it to the approved standard. It jeapordizes their license if they overlook it and something happens) This usually only shows up on the propane or electrical systems as there are minor differences. From what I have seen working in the industry some techs don't care but many do. This is decided at the tech level, not the dealership level. The rest of the coach is just a coach. Warranty really shouldn't be a problem. Happy camping.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
start here to establish that the RV is importable.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section5_1.htm/

Then do a search here and you will get the hoops. The primary issue is a letter/document from the manufacturer that certifies the RV has had ALL recall issues addressed and rectified. If purchasing from a dealer they will likely get this done and will likely have knowledge regarding the import process. However, best be knowledgeable, trust but verify. If private sale, getting the cert from the manufacturer in on you. This is the place to start as the import is going nowhere unless the import capability is verified and the recall cert is in place. There are also some rules about the import document(s) preceding you at the port of entry by three days. GST or HST is payable at the border.

RIVA and CSA certs are a real issue also.

As you have done it once, this time will go well.

Sorting out the licensing/registration issue is a Catch 22. Is the US temporary license valid in Canada? If not, how do you get the license in Canada? Not likely a license source at the border crossing! I doubt that any dealer etc. in Canada is likely to give you a temporary license.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.