'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
95 REPLIES 95

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Like you said your opinion is a sample size of 1, basically meaningless.

An opinion isn't worth anything to anyone if the reasoning behind it isn't sound ... regardless of sample size.

I'm curious ... what's the reasoning behind yours for going fast ... and what's wrong with the reasoning behind mine for going within the law?

That is the fallacy of your argument. If you are not obeying the left lane requirement you are also breaking the law. You just feel you are more justified in your infraction.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Like you said your opinion is a sample size of 1, basically meaningless.

An opinion isn't worth anything to anyone if the reasoning behind it isn't sound ... regardless of sample size.

I'm curious ... what's the reasoning behind yours for going fast ... and what's wrong with the reasoning behind mine for going within the law?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, we get it: you don't like to go very fast. Fine, stay in the right lane and don't pay any attention to those of us who want, and like, to go faster than you do. Like you said your opinion is a sample size of 1, basically meaningless.

And I'll let my opinion cancel out yours: I like to drive at a brisk pace when I'm on the bike, but I'm only 69 so I may slow down as I get older. Until then stay outta my way and we'll both be happy.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
So let me get this straight. You've come close to having a tie-rod separate and you have had a wheel and an axel fall off on one of your vehicles?

Sounds like you REALLY need to step up your maintenance on the vehicles you own!

Nope and nope.

My first example incident was back in late 1950's when driving an old borrowed car while going across rough railroad tracks.

My second example incident was when working my way through college on $1.10 per hour part time while also trying to keep an old MGA daily driver going with a known axle retainer clip problem in my model that was not so well known.

"Proper maintenance" does not negate the laws of physics or the known failure rate principles of complex systems ... and it certainaly does not justify taking too much for granted so as to be able to justify going fast ... and good luck with one's trust in whoever is (including one's self) doing the so-called proper maintenance. By the way, proper maintenance to ensure safety at high speeds also presupposes that the basic software and hardware design of one's vehicle is also covering ALL non-maintenance issues to ensure safety at high speeds ... good luck on presupposing/assuming that.

I'm willing to bet that driving fast is almost always based on emotionally derived reasons, while driving at posted speed limits or less is almost always based on rationally derived reasons. I'm willing to bet because I used to drive way too fast on public roads when I was under 25 years of age and and now many years later I don't drive way too fast on public roads - and I know my personal reasons for both scenarios. But of course my willingness to bet is only based on a sample size of 1 - myself.

IMHO, driving over the speed limit is for vehicles in closed course races ... and MAYBE for emergency vehicles in very special circumstances on public roads if they're doing it bright enough and loud enough.

FWIW ... I hope that other folks, myself, my DW, our dog, and the RV last a bit longer due to keeping our traveling at or under speed limits on trips. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

I've come close to number 3. happening. Actually the worst vehicle thing that has happened to me was not on my small list ... a rear wheel came off when underway along with the axle connected to it. If I hadn't been going slow at the time it could have been all over.

So let me get this straight. You've come close to having a tie-rod separate and you have had a wheel and an axel fall off on one of your vehicles?

Sounds like you REALLY need to step up your maintenance on the vehicles you own!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
beemerphile1 wrote:
FWIW not exactly related but many people aren't aware that emergency vehicles like an ambulance are allowed to monopolize the left lane, lights on or not.

Pet peave of mine. Ambulance on a free-flowing road running right about at the speed limit with the lights on.

They aren't getting anywhere any quicker but they sure do mess up traffic.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ken56 wrote:
What if everyone drove at the same speed on the E-way. What if everyone adhered to a safe following distance and was courteous to other drivers to let them change lanes when needed. What if....right. I am responsible for the safe operation of my vehicle at all times. I drive the speed I am comfortable with and feel is safe. I am sorry if you happen to get behind me but....too bad.

This is exactly why we use the 85th percentile. We are trying to get everyone going as close to the same speed as possible and this is the best way we've found to make that happen.

Likewise, staying in the right lane if you aren't passing is letting drivers change lanes when needed and passing in a predictable safe manner.

If it's an empty rural freeway, the risk of running a 55mph in a 70mph zone isn't too big of a deal. If you are in an urban area, look back and see a massive lineup behind you (even if running in the right lane), you are a danger even if you aren't technically in violation of the law.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
pnichols wrote:
So .... laws should be based on "the majority rules"? This can sometimes be deadly baloney.

What about the LOP (Laws of Physics) and/or the statistics of complex systems failure rates? When I see those 75, 80, 85 MPH law breakers pass our RV (or daily driver), this is what goes through my head regarding those speed demons...

What study after study finds is drivers (as a group) are very good at determining the appropriate speeds for a roadway and is supported by lower crash rates on similar roads with properly set speed limits compared to those with artificially lowered speed limits.

If you look at the design speeds for roads, they are almost always within 2-3mph of the 85 percentile speed.

I'd rather risk your brakes, hitch, and axles falling off rather than the far more likely crash due to differential speeds. The odds favor me.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Yield to Emergency Vehicles - Ohio Department of Public Safety
www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/HSY7757.pdf
Stationary Public Safety, Emergency, or Road Service Vehicle Displaying Flashing Lights. Always ... You must yield to the left, if possible, for all stationary public safety vehicles. Moving Public Safety Vehicles with Lights and Sirens. Traffic in ...

beemerphile1 wrote:
FWIW not exactly related but many people aren't aware that emergency vehicles like an ambulance are allowed to monopolize the left lane, lights on or not.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
36 CFR 4.13 - Obstructing traffic. | US Law | LII / Legal Information ...
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/36/4.13
36 CFR 4.13 - Obstructing traffic. eCFR ยท Authorities (U.S. ... (b) Operating a vehicle so slowly as to interfere with the normal flow of traffic. This is a list of United ...

beemerphile1 wrote:

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
The article says no where how fast or slow this offender was going. If the "offender" was traveling the speed limit, then this office is completely wrong. Speed limit is that THAT .... L I M I T!!!! Any lane. Now, I can see if the speed limit is 65 and the offender is traveling 40 in the "fast lane." Then yes, there is justification. But if the "offender is traveling 65, she was not wrong ... EVERYONE ELSE IS. But YOU are probably one of those who think the law doesn't mean anything either! Drive any speed you want as long as you don't get a ticket! WRONG! You are still breaking the law!

The few times I've had to drive I-465 around Indianapolis, I've been caught in a whirwind of traffic. The speed LIMIT is 55, all the way around I-465 (Indianapolis). In order to keep from getting run over, I had to travel 85 in the SLOW lane! I finally said... SCREW THIS and slowed to 55 (in the right lane), and I swear everyone zoomed by me like I was standing still. AND THE L I M I T is 55!

I feel your pain and avoid interstates as much as possible, but the worse part are those with enough hate inside to want to do harm to you just for wanting to do the right thing. I'm seeing it more often than not with crime on an alarming increase.

What difference does it make which law you are violating? One is improper lane usage and one is over the speed limit. You are just as guilty stealing a candy bar or driving off without paying for your fuel at a convenience station. Just because the candy bar is cheaper does not make it right.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
The article says no where how fast or slow this offender was going. If the "offender" was traveling the speed limit, then this office is completely wrong. Speed limit is that THAT .... L I M I T!!!! Any lane. Now, I can see if the speed limit is 65 and the offender is traveling 40 in the "fast lane." Then yes, there is justification. But if the "offender is traveling 65, she was not wrong ... EVERYONE ELSE IS. But YOU are probably one of those who think the law doesn't mean anything either! Drive any speed you want as long as you don't get a ticket! WRONG! You are still breaking the law!

The few times I've had to drive I-465 around Indianapolis, I've been caught in a whirwind of traffic. The speed LIMIT is 55, all the way around I-465 (Indianapolis). In order to keep from getting run over, I had to travel 85 in the SLOW lane! I finally said... SCREW THIS and slowed to 55 (in the right lane), and I swear everyone zoomed by me like I was standing still. AND THE L I M I T is 55!

I feel your pain and avoid interstates as much as possible, but the worse part are those with enough hate inside to want to do harm to you just for wanting to do the right thing. I'm seeing it more often than not with crime on an alarming increase.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line on left laners - it's the "It's all about me" people again. Lights on in the campground all night, chalk on the campsite, open frame contractor generators, it's all the same people.

Fer cryin' out loud. IT'S A HILL --- STEP ON THE GAS!!!
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I can't believe you didn't pull a tendon with a stretch like this one.

I've come close to number 3. happening. Actually the worst vehicle thing that has happened to me was not on my small list ... a rear wheel came off when underway along with the axle connected to it. If I hadn't been going slow at the time it could have been all over.

Of course my list was not to be taken literally. The purpose of my list was to get some folks to begin to contemplate on the complexity that's going on all around them in the vehicle they're driving or riding in. The overall complexity is even more so when towing something. If certain things were to happen in those complex systems, then it's better that it happen at low(er) speeds.

We all are taking way to much for granted when traveling too fast in vehicles, IMHO.