cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance- Needing Commercial if Used as Office?

itrina1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone! New to the RV life. Have not bought one yet but getting ready to. My question is about insurance. Does anyone have commercial on RV? Does anyone have a business out of it and use it as an office? Im told I cannot get regular insurance if I have any type of advertisement on outside of it... I was planning on getting it wrapped and yes, using as a part time office? Anyone familiar with this?
13 REPLIES 13

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

DOT and CDL rules would only apply if one was using their RV/trailer for moving other peoples stuff for money.

I will also suggest that the OP needs to reconsider the graphics wrap.. Many campgrounds may BAR you from entering, most campgrounds have rules about running businesses while in their campground, especially if it may draw in people from outside the campground. Having huge banner wraps all over your RV isn't going to win any favors in finding campgrounds..

Mostly correct, however.....

The OP needs to visit The CA DOT "Who must stop at scales".
In CA scales are run by the CHP.
You may be *required* to stop if you're hauling... "nothing"!

At the scales in Oceanside - shared by the Border Patrol - they may think you're hauling "illegals".

There are exceptions to the "No Pickups" signage.

For the OP.....
A pickup towing a trailer indicating a business - will/may be required to stop at scales - regardless of what the business *is*.

Maybe you will be ignored - or waved down - or chased down when you breeze through. (Ignorance of the law is not an excuse). Maybe the Chippy is having a bad day - or is a "newbie" to commercial apps.
Endless "what ifs".

Either way, you may spend (waste) a lot of time (grief) in the office.

Ditto many/most campgrounds turning down your "visit" to their park/s.

IMO - Stealth mode! - I would consider my business a part time venture, but - FOR SURE - no wraps...:W

Don't rely on what you read on an internet site!
Check with the appropriate CA "powers that be" (especially the one that may cite you) - and rotsa ruck!.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Call your insurance agent. They can tell you exactly what you need to do.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you get it wrapped and have advertising on it, there is a good chance that you will not be allowed in some of the better RV parks.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer, Any vehicle used for any commercial operation that crosses state lines are subject federal rules. I will never say everyone using their rv for a working operation is following the rules . If they have no advertising easy to get away with, but a wrap is a billboard to enforcement that your commercial.
Believe what you want, wasted toooooo much time on you already.. I opologize to the Californians, the all knowing is from Pa I see.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
sayoung wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
sayoung wrote:
We had dinner tonight with our good friend that's a Tx commercial vehicle safety compliance auditor. She says as to the wrap, if below 26000lbs combined and you DONOT travel out of your state you are ok unless California law , But if you cross state line at any weight it's CDL & DOT numbers.

Hmm, let me get this straight..

You say that you have talked to a TEXAS "commercial vehicle safety auditor" about this matter which is not taking place in Texas?

Then you say that the TX auditor says it is OK as long as they stay inside CA?

That is "hearsay"..

The TX auditor has no connection or jurisdiction in CA and therefore is not the final "Authority" on this matter.

Once again, this thread IS an example as to why the OP NEEDS to consult their LOCAL DMV Authorities to get the REAL scoop instead of the remote armchair ones.

The TX auditor could be correct about crossing state lines, however, once again, the OP NEEDS to consult with their proper Authorities in order to make sure they have ALL of the legal possibilities covered.

I wish the OP good luck to your adventure.

I will type real slow this time so Californians Might understand.
If you CROSS any state line with commercial signage on the rv you are now subject to FEDERAL commercial rules. DoT number & CDL will be required. If he stays in Kali & stays under 26000 gvwr he is ok unless kalifornicate has rules on this that differ greatly from most states.

I will say TTTHIISS REAAL SLOW..

WHAT YOU SAY IS HEARSAY AND DOES NOT COUNT.

The OP NEEDS to seek information INSIDE THEIR OWN STATE.

Not ALL "businesses" which have graphics plaster all over the vehicle are subject to FEDERAL COMMERCIAL RULES..

Federal and commercial rules would apply IF the OPs "business" was HAULING THINGS IN THEIR RV FOR PROFIT.

In other words, IF the OPs business was say a RV CLEANING business and they are not HAULING stuff for other people then there is zero reason for the need for DOT or CDL..

DOT and CDL rules would only apply if one was using their RV/trailer for moving other peoples stuff for money.

For instance, I used my 18ft 10K GVWR open flatbed trailer to go cross three states to pick up an antique car a few yrs ago FOR MYSELF. I did not NEED DOT numbers nor did I NEED a CDL to do that. Granted, I do not have any business to have any business name on the trailer but using your logic I should have had DOT and CDL.

Now had I had been pulled over AND I was hauling a car home for a friend, relative or anyone else FOR MONEY OR COMPENSATION then I could possibly be in a grey area or worse, subject to DOT rules..

CDL does not come into play unless you are exceeding 26K lbs combo AND have rig with AIR BRAKES AND HAULING for profit..

Got it?

OP, NEEDS to seek insurance help, legal help and DOT help from their OWN state.

MANY "Fulltimers" DO run businesses out of their RVs, MANY Fulltimers running their businesses out of their RVs DO cross state lines. Most likely NONE of those fulltimers that run a business out of their RV have DOT numbers or CDLs..

I will also suggest that the OP needs to reconsider the graphics wrap.. Many campgrounds may BAR you from entering, most campgrounds have rules about running businesses while in their campground, especially if it may draw in people from outside the campground. Having huge banner wraps all over your RV isn't going to win any favors in finding campgrounds..

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
sayoung wrote:
We had dinner tonight with our good friend that's a Tx commercial vehicle safety compliance auditor. She says as to the wrap, if below 26000lbs combined and you DONOT travel out of your state you are ok unless California law , But if you cross state line at any weight it's CDL & DOT numbers.

You say that you have talked to a TEXAS "commercial vehicle safety auditor" about this matter which is not taking place in Texas?

That is "hearsay"..

The TX auditor has no connection or jurisdiction in CA and therefore is not the final "Authority" on this matter.

Once again, this thread IS an example as to why the OP NEEDS to consult their LOCAL DMV Authorities to get the REAL scoop instead of the remote armchair ones.

The TX auditor could be correct about crossing state lines, however, once again, the OP NEEDS to consult with their proper Authorities in order to make sure they have ALL of the legal possibilities covered.

I will type real slow this time so Californians Might understand.
If you CROSS any state line with commercial signage on the rv you are now subject to FEDERAL commercial rules. DoT number & CDL will be required. If he stays in Kali & stays under 26000 gvwr he is ok unless kalifornicate has rules on this that differ greatly from most states.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
sayoung wrote:

That is "hearsay"..

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not only talk to your agent...but get the answer in writing, so they don't forget when there is a claim.

...but...if it's wrapped, it's going to be pretty obvious that it's being used for commercial purposes.

We often work remotely while in the RV but if there is an issue, there is nothing to indicate it's being used for business. Wrapping or remodeling for a dedicated work office, makes it a lot more likely they catch on that it's commercial use.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I would think any commercial underwriter could get you business liability/comp. I am thinking your gonna have way more problems with possible DOT, Drivers License needed in your state, having to now stop at weigh stations, etc , , but I don't know just thinking as a former business owner.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
My insurance was adamant about not covering our RV if it was used for commercial puposes (whether it was "badged-up" or not)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
And โ€œheyโ€ to you! Your local insurance agent is the source for accurate insurance information. Not me! Have you asked him/her?

Regarding a rolling office, that doesnโ€™t exempt you from federal, state or local taxes. Did you ever think insurance companies donโ€™t share information with the IRS, FTB etc.? Duh
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Personal car insurance isn't applicable if the car is used primarily for business, I was told. I imagine similar rules apply for RVs. Maybe you can ask a local agent.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.