cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance on Rented Travel Trailer?

lilypoo
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance advice ~ we're going to be renting for a few months before buying, since we've never camped or RV'd and we're not even sure we'll like it! (I think we will but just in case!) Anyway...

All the rental companies and private parties we've spoken with have said that we need to purchase additional coverage through our auto insurance that would cover damage to the RV while it's being driven and while it's parked--called a "binder." (Our liability extends and that's all.)

I called Geico and they said there is no such thing, no way to buy add-on coverage for this and that the only way to be protected would be to rent from a dealer who offers a policy.

But literally everyone I've contacted has a form that *I* have to have filled out by *my* company saying I have purchased a "binder" to extend my coverage to the RV temporarily.

So what the heck do I do? Super discouraged as we have a trip planned and were going to rent a TT from a friend actually...if we go through the service they're with, the trailer is only covered when parked...not if damage occurs while driving!
15 REPLIES 15

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Your tow vehicle ins covers the liability and home owners ins covers the contents but you will need something to cover the trailer itself.
I'm surprised they dont offer this coverage for hefty fee.