cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the pool of 4 down towable vehicles diminishing??

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it’s just me but I recently had to help someone find a new 4 down towable toad. It seems the choices have diminished since we went thru the process 15 years ago. For those who have wanted to buy a NEW toad in the last year or two, was it difficult to find something you like?? What is the go to solution right now.

As well, it is obvious now that we are at the very bottom of the S curve of electric vehicle sales that will play out in the next 10 to 20 years. None of the current manufacturers of EV’s make a 4 down towable toad. (We have to tow ours on a trailer). Do you think this may be an issue in the next decade or so. Will Dolly’s become more common as a result.

The conversation is open. 🙂
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.
39 REPLIES 39

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that some vehicles where flat towing is not permitted according to the manual actually could be anyway but not sure how one would know without taking the costly gamble. I've towed a 2012 Chevy Sonic for 31/2 years and it tows great and is a great car also. They are still towable except the RS but the hook-up point is rather low. I think next I will go to Focus; a little bigger.
Jayco-noslide

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I meant without modifications. I assume many are flat towable with trans. lube pumps, etc.
Jayco-noslide

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Definitely diminishing. Honda and Toyota have NO flat towables I'm pretty sure even the sticks. Same for VW, Mazda. Chevy has several models for now as does Ford. But you have to be careful and actually consult the owner's manual for different models and equipment. You can't go by the towing guides. Almost all of the towables have 1 model you can't tow; eg,, Sonic RS, Fiesta ST, etc. Some but not all of the problem is the spread of CVT's of which I think none are towable.

The 2017 Toyota Yaris is 4-down towable. As is with a manual transmission, and with a Remco lube pump on the automatic.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely diminishing. Honda and Toyota have NO flat towables I'm pretty sure even the sticks. Same for VW, Mazda. Chevy has several models for now as does Ford. But you have to be careful and actually consult the owner's manual for different models and equipment. You can't go by the towing guides. Almost all of the towables have 1 model you can't tow; eg,, Sonic RS, Fiesta ST, etc. Some but not all of the problem is the spread of CVT's of which I think none are towable.
Jayco-noslide

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
The new car"the Elio" three wheeled auto with an 85 mpg fuel rate is supposed to go into production in 2019. And I have been questioning the engineers about that being four wheel down towing capable. They have now finally said it will be.

Hmmm... A three wheeled vehicle that can be towed four wheels down. Where does the fourth wheel come from?
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer

chevy volt

Before anyone asked I looked him up ,smart guy .
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
hr_sea wrote:
With the resale value of the Nissan Leaf so low, I was looking at getting one to tow around as a portable battery pack. It has a 20 some-odd KW battery pack. Could run the motorhome roof AC for hours at a time at night when dry camping and still be able to drive around national parks, etc. (in practice it won't work because the 12V converter can only put out 74 amps at 13.6V, 1KW which isn't enough to run the AC)

I know a guy that is using Volt battery pack for just that purpose in his showhauler motorhome.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Speedy921 wrote:
So....other than Jeep. Too pricey. Which vehicles are 4 down capable without loosing battery etc. ? We really wanted a Wrangler but looking at car trader they want a lot of money for something with over 100,000 miles. I need one to have automatic transmission.

Look for a Chevrolet Equinox V6 or GMC Terrain V6. One fuse to remove, put in neutral, Key to off, ready to tow.

Speedy921
Explorer
Explorer
So....other than Jeep. Too pricey. Which vehicles are 4 down capable without loosing battery etc. ? We really wanted a Wrangler but looking at car trader they want a lot of money for something with over 100,000 miles. I need one to have automatic transmission.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
From a vehicle marketing perspective, I don't think 4-down towability is on any manufacturer's radar at all. Just too small of a market. If car manufacturers thought that there was a significant market for 4 down towability, we might see options such as factory integrated baseplates and braking systems. The engineering would be relatively easy, but the market just isn't there.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2012 Ford F150 with axle disconnect, easy to use.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
hr_sea wrote:
With the resale value of the Nissan Leaf so low, I was looking at getting one to tow around as a portable battery pack. It has a 20 some-odd KW battery pack. Could run the motorhome roof AC for hours at a time at night when dry camping and still be able to drive around national parks, etc. (in practice it won't work because the 12V converter can only put out 74 amps at 13.6V, 1KW which isn't enough to run the AC)

I think with the right engineering you could get an inverter that runs off the main battery buss. I don’t know what that is but it would be kinda cool. But I think it would be easier to get a pack from a wrecked Leaf and make a compact sled on a trailer. Used packs are not much cheaper than cars though from what I understand. I also think the pack that comes out of smart car electric is a lot more compact. Sooner or later someone is going to do it.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

hr_sea
Explorer
Explorer