cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep GC Safety recall: Transfer case FW upgrade

nomad_289
Explorer
Explorer
FYI: If older firmware is flashed, it will cause the transfer case motor to be inoperable, and you won't be able to shift into 4-low or neutral. Proper (latest factory FW) will correct.

Some Jeep Grand Cherokee's are under a safety recall, since the transfer case can shift into neutral on it's own, allowing the vehicle to roll away if parking brake is not engaged. Simple FW flash is needed to correct this.

However, the tech apparently flashed an older FW version that was resident on his laptop, instead of downloading the latest from Jeep. The transfer case became inoperable. I requested they re-flash the FW. Instead they inspected the motor wiring, and declared the motor was defective and needed replaced; "might" be covered under warranty (?). I insisted there is no way a micro-volt FW download could destroy a 12V motor, and suggested they research this further while waiting for the motor to come in. Today they re-flashed with the proper FW which resolved the issue. (duh).

I read a previous post where a forum member had been told they needed a replacement motor, which cost over $1000. Later was informed by another dealer that a FW flash would have solved it. Member is now trying to get reimbursed by Chrysler (aka Fiat). Seems Chrysler's troubleshooting instructions are flawed. Thanks partly to that post, I was able to avoid an unnecessary motor replacement.
0 REPLIES 0