cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jeep Wrangler Prices

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm thinking about buying a Jeep Wrangler as a towed vehicle behind a motorhome. My first thought was to buy one a few years old to save some money. So I looked up the price for a 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4X4 with automatic transmission and 36,000 miles on NADA. It says the retail price should be $23,000. That seemed high so I wanted to see how much is the same car new. I went to Jeep and priced a new 2018 with 4X4 and automatic transmission: $26,500. That's before any negotiation so I'm thinking I can get a little bit off that price at a dealer; maybe $25,000 out the door. Who would pay $23,000 for the same car 4 years old? What am I missing here?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
102 REPLIES 102

soren
Explorer
Explorer
My son listed his two year old, four door wrangler on craigslist. He paid $26.7k new, and added bigger tires, rims and a 2" terra-flex. An out of state wholesaler just bought it for $26K, wire transferred the cash, and picked it up. It's sharp looking, with low miles. He essentially owned the thing for two years, did some real aggressive off-roading with it, and got nearly 100% of his money back, less the mods he did. The next owner will probably be paying more than he did, all in. Doesn't make much sense to me, but it's the market at the moment.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
I just went and looked at them....wow. Upper 40s to 50K. So expensive!
You can get a loaded out Wrangler Sport 4-door for $33K. typical Wrangler Sport

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
You can get 5% below dealer invoice on a new ordered jl Wrangler.

I just went and looked at them....wow. Upper 40s to 50K. So expensive!
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
You can get 5% below dealer invoice on a new ordered jl Wrangler.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned numerous jeeps, in fact just bought my 6th one. FINALLY bought a Wrangler. I owned a 2012 Jeep Liberty which I loved, but couldn't tow it, that was before I decided I wanted a MH. Owned Cherokees and the new Renegade. Only the Renegades were towable on a dolly, they were front wheel drive.

I had always wanted a Wrangler but yes they are expensive. Expensive to buy new but they hold their value. I looked for several months. Finally found a 2015 Sahara - 2 door. I have only had it for 3 weeks but I absolutely love it! It feels so solid on the road. It had 30,000 miles on it and they wanted $26,900.00 for it. I did a lot of dealing with them. I had a 2017 Renegade I was trading in. Many of the Wranglers in my area for the same year had 40 or 50,000 miles on them and they still want $30,000 or more. I live in upstate NY.

Finally got my Wrangler though!!! Now all I have to do is add all the stuff to it I want......LOL!!! Wrangler has the most after market items than any other vehicle.

CrimsnTide17
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I LOVED my 1999 Jeep TJ. Fun to drive, easy to maintain, easy to tow and the knowledgebase from other owners is ENDLESS. Living in sunny Southern Calif., we hardly have had to use the hardtop and full doors. Running with a bikini top and half doors or no doors at all is just refreshing. From modifying to maintaining - the OEM and aftermarket parts are plentiful. No matter where you are, you can always pretty much get a part for it. And in extreme situations, one can be SHIPPED to you within 24 hours. Just a all-around great vehicle. It truly saddens me I have to sell my 1999 Jeep TJ after putting in so many hours with her. It was a breeze towing, especially using the Blue Ox setup. (See my "baby's" picture in my profile) 😞

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
et2 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
So there ya go. It seems that the OP chose to buy a toad THAT HE HAS TO TRAILER rather than pay the ridiculous prices for a used Jeep.

Now this might get cut .... But it really seems you troll these posts. Odd coming from a mod.

Well, mods have opinions as well and after the search for a reasonably priced jeep or cr-v to tow I also have a bad taste in my mouth for the "Jeep Cult". The title of this thread is "Jeep Wrangler Prices". Explain to me why my observations are not on topic.

All this bravado about "off road capability" and "built to take abuse" when the only "abuse" the large majority of jeeps get is speed bumps at the mall. It's all a phony economy that sensible people will ignore.

My DD has one all jacked up with big noisy tires and terrible suspension. Never been off road. She was always a "follow the cult" type. Previous worthless autos were Range Rover, Saab and BWM.

You are wrong, nice opinion, but not correct. It is all about my very expensive RUBI being an off-road beast. It is why most purchase them, regardless if they want to beat theirs up like me or get groceries.....same Jeep. You categorization of the Jeep with a Saab is off base. I owned a Saab, it was decent.

Will
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
And don't forget driving down the pavement and off the end onto a nice deep sandy beach and the only thought is which hideaway spot you are going to end up at that most others wouldn't dare try to get to.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I am on the pro Jeep side. Nothing better than doors off, top off rolling down a paved road and taking a hard left on a dirt road and not being concerned with what obstacles may lie ahead. Second best is doors and hard top installed, heater blowing somewhat warm air as you drive down a snow covered trail surrounded by trees.

I made the unfortunate mistake of selling our 1999 TJ a few weeks ago and am still kicking myself. I purchased this TJ in 2011 and most thought I over paid but seven years later I sold it for $200 dollars less than what I paid. Not a bad investment:). This TJ was a manual transmission and due to the DW medical issues it was no longer comfortable for her to drive.

Overpriced or not I will definitely purchase another wrangler. The off road ability, the ease of towing them, the open air summer rides, the winter treks through the woods, the conversations and friendships with fellow jeepers, the amazing resale value, the ease of getting around congested downtowns, the feeling of driving a lifted covered wagon down the interstate and the waves from passing jeepers all justify the high price of admission for me.

Now to start the search for the next wrangler to join the family:)

Y-Guy
DallasSteve wrote:
I don't feel fanatical about the decision one way or the other - for me it's just picking the most practical solution at this moment in time.

Congrats and enjoy your new rig, the only thing that matters in the end is that you are happy. But when you get a Jeep let us know and we can give you the secret society wave 😉

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I may still join the Jeep world in a few years. I like my new Crosstrek and it will save me some money, but I also like the Wrangler a lot and in a few years I may "upgrade". My decision now may set me in a more secure financial position later where I'm willing to spend that extra money. I even toyed with the idea of getting a big 4WD truck and pulling a travel trailer with it, but not only are they expensive, but I really don't want it to be my daily driver. Still that, too, might be an option in a few years. I don't feel fanatical about the decision one way or the other - for me it's just picking the most practical solution at this moment in time.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
So what's the problem? it's capitalism. Jeep Wrangler is a vehicle sought after and can command the price they get. People can buy what they want. You call it a cult or Bravado. So there aren't any other cars or SUV's out there that your accusations wouldn't also apply too? Are they not off road capable more so than many other standard equipped vehicle. Then it's bravado well deserved and part of the reason they get the price they do. So what if it's just a mall driver

Well,
I couldn't have said it any better. I wasn't gonna comment on this thread any more but, I had to put two more cents in. The mods comments were an opinion for sure. He's entitled to his, just like the rest of us. His just happened to be a bit on the strong side for the opposing team. I don't really know, (and I'm supposing that no one really knows) the size of the two opposing teams on this Jeep price thing. Those of us that have purchased, own, drive, modify, use on and or off road, to various limits and or capabilities, LIKE our Jeeps.
We, on this team, know what we're facing when we write the check(s) for these darn Kleenex boxes on wheels. Those on the other team, either by not having EVER ventured into the Jeep world, or simply can't afford what's being asked for them, used or new, can develop their own attitude and thoughts as to what's not to like.

This thread can go on and on and on forever. As I've stated before, you either like them, purchase them, modify them (if desired), go off road (again, if desired) or just own and maybe tow it for a toad, 'cause it's the right vehicle for you. If you DON'T like them and or, see no value in them, don't EVER plan on getting into any form of off roading, and like or own, some form of other toad, well then, you simply walk away from a Jeep. Pretty simple.

But to label this as a "cult", well, not quite sure I'd put it in that category.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

soren
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Went through the same thing when buying something to tow. During our Big Adventure, we didn't tow anything. We ended up spending $3000 on rental cars. During the six months on the road, I did and informal poll of what class As were towing (looked at every class A going by) and 95 percent were CR-Vs or some flavor of Jeep. So of course, when it came time to buy, I started shopping for one of those. Talk about sticker shock. A ten year old CR-V with 200,000 miles and a beat up interior for $18,000??? No Thanks.

I got a 3 year old Equinox for the same price. Underpowered, but considered to be one of

If you found numbers like that, while shopping for a CRV, you must of been online shopping using the zip code for a remote Alaskan Village, or maybe an island in the south Pacific? Last summer I bought a three year old CRV with 28K miles, in excellent condition, for exactly $18K. It was from a new car dealer, detailed, inspected, 120 point checklist, and had full service records. Here in the Mid-Atlantic, ASKING price for a ten year old CRV with that kind of miles is in the $6-8K range. If you drop back to a 12-15 year old unit, you can find ones with half that mileage, in very good condition, in the $3-5K range. Not to mention that a CRV will be running long after any small GM SUV is just a memory.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
et2 wrote:
Now this might get cut .... But it really seems you troll these posts. Odd coming from a mod.

It won't get cut by me. But let me share a couple things that everyone should know...

As jplante4 pointed out yes Mods can have opinions. But in this case I’ll add that he’s not a Mod in this forum, he’s acting just as you, as a member. There is no way for us to turn off the “Mod” in forums we don’t moderate in, plus if we can’t join in then why be a Mod. Though I strongly disagree with him, I will not censor him or anyone for that reason. If I did that many posts in this thread might have been deleted, I try to be pretty easy on the delete button. But that’s now how I moderate.

I don’t totally disagree jplante4 though, I see a ton of Mall Crawlers, but that’s their right. That is one of the great things about the Jeep, it’s versatile. From beach cruisers, to off road, mall crawlers to Toads; its one of the most customizable vehicles out there. While I could say some disparaging things about Subarus, that’s not my thing. 😉

In my case I don’t have huge tires, just a set of KO2’s which really are great for the off-roading that I do, plus are very quiet when I spend about 150 days with the doors and top off going too and from work, best convertible ever!

Allowing this under his title is very misleading. Maybe it's a " mod cult kind of thing"

LOL :W

et2
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
et2 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
So there ya go. It seems that the OP chose to buy a toad THAT HE HAS TO TRAILER rather than pay the ridiculous prices for a used Jeep.

Well, mods have opinions as well and after the search for a reasonably priced jeep or cr-v to tow I also have a bad taste in my mouth for the "Jeep Cult". The title of this thread is "Jeep Wrangler Prices". Explain to me why my observations are not on topic.

All this bravado about "off road capability" and "built to take abuse" when the only "abuse" the large majority of jeeps get is speed bumps at the mall. It's all a phony economy that sensible people will ignore.

My DD has one all jacked up with big noisy tires and terrible suspension. Never been off road. She was always a "follow the cult" type. Previous worthless autos were Range Rover, Saab and BWM.

So what's the problem? it's capitalism. Jeep Wrangler is a vehicle sought after and can command the price they get. People can buy what they want. You call it a cult or Bravado. So there aren't any other cars or SUV's out there that your accusations wouldn't also apply too? Are they not off road capable more so than many other standard equipped vehicle. Then it's bravado well deserved and part of the reason they get the price they do. So what if it's just a mall driver.

"Being that your not a MOD" I'll say this. Your argument is pointless. You settled for something that fit your budget. Other's can afford it, what's the issue? They will hold there value a lot more than many other cars.