cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping our TT down south.

Louie___Eva
Explorer
Explorer
We were thinking about putting our TT in storage in Myrtle Beach SC. We are from CT. They would move it to our site when we want to use it. Is there anything I need to know about keeping it down south while it is in storage. What should I do to keep the animals out and do I have to do anything in the winter months? We will only be using it for a couple of weeks in the summer each year. Thank you, Eva
Montana 2008 Mountaineer travel trailer 32FLD
2006 Ford F350 PSD, Lariat, CC, LB, SRW and Blue ox sway control
7 REPLIES 7

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Louie & Eva wrote:
Since it will be the only place we are going to be camping from now on, we thought it might be a good idea. This year it cost us $900. in gas and tolls to get it there. We only use our truck to pull the camper. ( This way we can sell the truck ). It will cost us $600. to keep it in storage in Pirate land and they will move it to the site for free. It will be much cheaper to drive our car down and the camper will already be on the site when we get there. It seems like everyone only sees a down side to this, we are still thinking about it, we are not 100% sure yet.

If that is the only time you will use it, the. It is a good plan. We basically did the same thing earlier this year. We had a 31' TT and found ourselves mainly going down that way with it. We had to basically keep it in storage near home as we have a sloping driveway/yard. Without any braking, we couldn't keep it in the driveway. It was a PITA in the yard because we had to watch the weather to make sure if we could get it out. We had to use four wheel drive when it was dry. So there was always a worry there. We did go to other places, but there were places we wanted to where it would be difficult to find a site to park it and an f250 super crew cab truck. The truck was purchased to pull the TT. So we opted to take the camper to ocean lakes in myrtle beach and store it there. They do e same as you mentioned and for about the same price. We liked that ocean lakes had an rv center there in case we needed any work done as well. We took it there and traded the truck in on an explorer for my wife. Not afraid of the gas bill every time she cranks it up like she did with the truck. We only had one other car besides e truck and its my commuter car. We bought a used pop up to be able to go to those places in the mountains we couldn't get the TT in and we had the TT at the beach. Ended up trading both of them in on our class c we bought. We can also park it in the driveway.

Since I know more of your idea, I say go for it. Don't forget to let your insurance know about where it's stored at. We also would go for a weekend (live only 4 hrs from myrtle beach) in my little Toyota yaris. Much better on gas and so much easier to go. We were going almost once a month until we changed things up.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Louie___Eva
Explorer
Explorer
Since it will be the only place we are going to be camping from now on, we thought it might be a good idea. This year it cost us $900. in gas and tolls to get it there. We only use our truck to pull the camper. ( This way we can sell the truck ). It will cost us $600. to keep it in storage in Pirate land and they will move it to the site for free. It will be much cheaper to drive our car down and the camper will already be on the site when we get there. It seems like everyone only sees a down side to this, we are still thinking about it, we are not 100% sure yet.
Montana 2008 Mountaineer travel trailer 32FLD
2006 Ford F350 PSD, Lariat, CC, LB, SRW and Blue ox sway control

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
As Jim implied, you need to rethink your visits to Myrtle Beach. You are spending a bunch of money for very little return.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
You might also want to think about hurricanes and how you are going to move it or IF you are going to move it. They get them occasionally, not often, but you are a LONG way off to travel to move it for a few days.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
For what you're going to spend on storing an RV 50 weeks a year, CG fees for 2 weeks plus the cost of the RV to begin with, you could spend two weeks in the best hotel/motel suite, complete with kitchen and probably hire a maid and butler and still be way ahead of the game. Way ahead.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Hmmm... long way to go for just 2 weeks in the summer and keep it stored there. I could see it more if you were closer as we had ours stored there, but were able to go at least every other month. Having it stored there and to having to tow it is a great thing. Was very nice while we did it. But we moved up from the TT to our MH.

Not sure where you are looking at storing it, but we had ours stored at Ocean Lakes lastly and Lakewood a few years ago. No issues with animals. You will want to have it winterized or do it before you leave in the summer. If at Ocean Lakes, they have an RV Service center and they could do it for you. They can get it out of storage and do the service.

X2

If you do it be sure not to leave any food in it a friend left some open crackers in theirs & had to deal with ants..........

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm... long way to go for just 2 weeks in the summer and keep it stored there. I could see it more if you were closer as we had ours stored there, but were able to go at least every other month. Having it stored there and to having to tow it is a great thing. Was very nice while we did it. But we moved up from the TT to our MH.

Not sure where you are looking at storing it, but we had ours stored at Ocean Lakes lastly and Lakewood a few years ago. No issues with animals. You will want to have it winterized or do it before you leave in the summer. If at Ocean Lakes, they have an RV Service center and they could do it for you. They can get it out of storage and do the service.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L