Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone RV & Thor Industries

ka0dqz
Explorer
Explorer
To Whom It May Concern:
If you are considering purchasing or know someone who is you/they may wish to consider a manufacturer other than Keystone RV and Thor Industries. These two companies do not stand behind their products.
I have a 2013 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES, purchased July 05, 2013. This unit has had numerous issues most that should have been caught on a final inspection prior to be shipped to a dealer.
The unit was taken back to the dealer, Century RV in Longmont, CO, on September 30, 2013 to have 7 issues addressed. As of the date of this posting all of the issues have not been completed. March 26, 2013 the dealer was notified of a crack that has appeared on the exterior wall of the main slide. This problem has not even been addressed as to when it will be repaired.
However, the largest issue is that also on March 26, 2013, it was discovered that one of the seals on the P-trap for the shower drain had never been installed. This allowed all of the shower water to drain into the belly of the RV. I was concerned about mold and mildew. I wrote Keystone and Thor Industries, the parent company of Keystone, and told them of my concerns. As of the date of this posting I have NEVER heard from Thor Industries. On June 12, 2013, I was contacted by Mr. Stephen Holmes, Manager of Owner Relations for Keystone RV, who promised to have an answer for me by close of business on June 13, 2013 and said he would call me. I did not hear from Mr. Holmes on Friday June 13th nor as of the date of this posting have I heard from Mr. Holmes.
69 REPLIES 69

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add in the class A rant about a Thor unit, means they would be off the list for many.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
We have just gone through a 7 inch rain in 3 hours here in south Louisiana. I have a 2011 Chateau 31k and believe you me i went through the unit with a flash light and a 'fine tooth comb' and lo and behold NO and I mean NO water, No leaks, No issues whatsoever. Yeah, I am glad! To some, this might be a 'bottom of the line' unit, but to me-after all this water from heaven....it is "top of the line"!
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
filling the tank with water and operating all water systems. On my list this is one of the most important checks because I want to make sure nothing leaks prior to me accepting and signing the paperwork.

Wish I had known that. Leak on hot water under the bathroom sink.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
ka0dqz wrote:
I went from a tent trailer to this. The PDI lasted all of 30 minutes

In all fairness, you set the pace of the PDI not the dealer/salesman. The dealer walks you through the operation of everything, but it is the responsibility of a prudent buyer to careful operate and inspect all systems prior to accepting the unit. A thorough inspection includes filling the tank with water and operating all water systems. On my list this is one of the most important checks because I want to make sure nothing leaks prior to me accepting and signing the paperwork.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

ka0dqz
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a tent trailer to this. The PDI lasted all of 30 minutes

ka0dqz
Explorer
Explorer
Teamfour wrote:

While I agree that there is no excuse for poor customer service, a statement by the OP is very telling:

"This unit has had numerous issues most that should have been caught on a final inspection prior to be shipped to a dealer."

If the OP feels the problems existed at the time of mfr prior to purchase, why did he not find these problems in the PDI?

FWIW, we had a Keystone prior to our previous TT and loved it. A few minor issues, caught during the PDI, were resolved by the dealer.

I would have to disagree with your statement about the OP not seeing this before PDI. I remember buying my 1st TT. Clueless would best describe it. I didn't even know how everything works let alone whether it was right or wrong. If he is buying his 1st trailer then it's totally understandable the he didn't know what problem areas should be addressed during PDI. If he's on his 2nd or 3rd then yes he should've noticed theses things.

I went from a tent trailer to this unit

ka0dqz
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam has sent 2 letters to Keystone and told them this issue may be selected for publication.

ka0dqz
Explorer
Explorer
rseymour21 wrote:
Perhaps the best place for this would be Action line with Trailer Life! Where something might happen as compare to 3 pages of :h

Good Sam has sent 2 letters to Keystone and told them this issue may be selected for publication. No response.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
It's sad to hear you had trouble with your Keystone product. We owned two Keystone produts both served us well with very little troubles.

I believe as popular as Keystone is with all their various products there's bound to be problems, law of averages. That being said, EVERY RV manufacture has "some" problems, including the high end ones. These are mechanical and ANYTHING mechanical can and will break down, this must be kept in mind.

I watch this forum all the time, people on here have troubles with every brand/model and all sorts of issues. From what i can decipher they're all god and they're all bad, all depends on if you got one of their good ones or not. People on here complain about all kinds of issues and they're NOT all Keystone products!

Just had to add my two cents.

Dan

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
dspencer wrote:
I understand your frustration but keep in mind ALL RV's can have issues. Unfortunately in the RV industry that's one thing that's fairly consistent poor workmanship.

As an owner that has a Keystone/Thor product and has had very little problems,I feel that it is unfair to castigate any large company for one instance, no matter how unfortunate. Thor produced 166,152 units in 2013.

Have you checked Toyota and GM recalls lately?

Lets' keep things in perspective.

I am sorry you had such trouble.

Ditto...had a Keystone TT with very little problems. and Have a Thor made Class C with very little problems. All problems addressed and fixed at our dealer, which happens to be a Camping World.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Thor is the "parent" company of keystone isn't it? I've personally looked at thor products and wouldn't touch one. BUT... I agee with the posters right to rant, and I agree that ALL manufacturers have issues, AND. I agree that no P-trap is a big Quality control issue from the factory. But how can the dealership PDI find that problem when there is a full underbelly skirting? It sounds like that issue wouldn't be found unless the shower was draining long enough for the water to find a way out of the skirting, and not just pooling up under the drain?
Proud father of a US Marine

diver57
Explorer
Explorer
no they did not sell any RV:s just a repair shop

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
In had a 2012 Montana fifth wheel and had zero problems with Keystone on any warranty work. Good Trailer and a good company.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
BillB800si wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
diver57 wrote:
well I went into two different rv places that do repairs. and told them i was in the market to by a 5th wheel . So i asked them what they would recommend
First words out of there mouth was they would never buy a keystone
product. thats all they have in there shops getting repairs.
Let me guess that's not what they sell..B.O.

================================

Three years ago we wintered in Rockport Texas and most of the 5th wheelers we saw were Montana's. Just guess who makes Montana's?
Yep, Keystone.......

Isn't the Montana line the #1 seller? I know I see a slew of them when traveling.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a Keystone Cougar and this thread is scaring me a little bit. It is our first new RV purchase. I've read enough on here that I know there will be issues within the first year. I feel confident in the dealer we purchased from and I think that will make a world of difference when we need to have warranty work done.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax