cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KOA Workamping?

Darrah
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone here worked with or for KOA Workamping program?
Was wondering if the $35.00 annual fee was worth it?
And what type of pay do they usually offer?

Thanks in advance.
Pat (human I think.)
2015 MyPod by Little Guy.
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
5 REPLIES 5

krischouinard
Explorer
Explorer
We are just finishing up our 4th KOA work kamper experience; we have enjoyed it for the most part. We have worked 15-20 hours for the site and minimum wage for any hours over.It seems most campgrounds don't give you a lot of paid hours.
As far as the $35 I feel it is helpful IF you plan to stick with working for KOA as it stores all your info and it is available for potential employers to find even if you do not send it to them but if you want a wider field I would go with another method of finding a job.

Smooth_Sailn
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in our 4th KOA as workampers and enjoy it very much. Each opportunity has been from 4 to 7 months long. When it gets cold in the north we head south and when it gets hot in the south we head north. We have a list of must have requirements before we send our resumes to or accept an offer from a kampground. Knowledge of Kamsight and Kampstore is required at many KOA's so one can't be too selective for the first job. However, once you have some experience it is much better.

On the topic of the $35 membership fee; this is a nominal fee which I believe keeps the not-serious from signing up. Once you have a workamper "Star" KOA provides up to 5 free camping certificates for you as you travel from one job to the next. IMO that more than covers the membership fee.

Like any job, KOA workamping is not for everyone. Every KOA is different and some owners are easier to get along with than others. All in all, IMO, if you do your job and mind your own business you will have more good experiences than bad.

Good luck and happy kamping.

Smooth

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
you have to pay them $35 every year to work for them? that sucks
bumpy

Darrah
Explorer
Explorer
ziphead2 thanks for the post.
I currently still have a RV payment thats why I was wondering about them and there pay rate.
I have stayed at a few KOA's and have enjoyed them.
so I thought working there might be a good deal.
Pat (human I think.)
2015 MyPod by Little Guy.
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Ziphead2
Explorer II
Explorer II
We signed up and paid the 35 dollars.after posting our resume we were contacted by 3 different campgrounds. We settled on a campground near Gatlinburg TN. The owner was going to help us learn the reservation system, . If you know the system your opportunities for other campgrounds expands. We contacted another host who worked there and he had nothing bad to say, he even stayed another 6 months as he liked it so much. We had a health issue where we had to pass the campground up. As with anything else you have to do some research on the offers you receive. Great program, most likely you get full hookups, space for 20 hrs each per week. Good luck!