cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did I just get lucky?

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am constantly reading threads by people complaining that their camper had numerous problems at the PDI, and then other posters saying that it is to be expected and that these thing are******off the line.
Did I just get lucky or what? Admittedly mine is a hybrid tt so it is not as complicated as other rigs. We had 0 problems and 0 defects upon delivery. I have towed about 8000 miles and have about 60 nites on it and no problems yet.
Some things I am not crazy about, but everything functions as designed and the only thing that broke was a tire that had a staple in it.
What was your experience?
16 REPLIES 16

TheCorsicaNomad
Explorer
Explorer
We would have to contribute that it more-than-likely depends a great deal on the individual dealership. As an example, we bought our first unit used, a 1998 pop-up, from a dealer in Brockway, PA, in 2002. It was immaculate when we picked it up, and everything was checked out, and personally "familiarized" with all the care and feeding situations. Fast-forward, this past June, we traded that same unit in on a used, 2005 Jayco 23B Hybrid, and got the exact same extraordinary experiences, no issues that were not addresses immediately, at no inconvenience/costs, EVER, and we have been hauling that little bugger everywhere around the Allegheny National Forest area, carefree, ever since. So, you and we are not simply "lucky," but most likely the recipient of a good run RV business. Hope to meet you at a campground someday. CW

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
A top quality dealer is very valuable. A high percentage of RVs come off the line with small and/or large issues. The factory counts on the dealer catching these issues in the PDI and fixing them before delivery to the customer, or even before the customer's walk-thru.

The first thing I think when I read about people having a large number of issues; they got shafted by the dealer shortcutting the PDI.

mlts22 wrote:
I had a dealer which did a "pre-PDI" where we went through to look at everything that would get corrected....

So the dealer convinced you to perform the PDI for free that they get paid for? :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I had a dealer which did a "pre-PDI" where we went through to look at everything that would get corrected, then the PDI to catch any real stragglers of issues. They even inspected and load-tested the generator I bought.

So, dealers can help the experience a lot.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is how "lucky" you are is highly dependent on the dealer and his attitude towards PDI. And yes, they are to do the PDI BEFORE you do your final inspection.

We, like you, had a great pickup experience and have had virtually no issues with the trailer. When we bought the trailer, our first, I had a LONG PDI list I had made. Before I even mentioned the inspection, the salesman said, we can do a walk through friday morning, starting at 9am. plan on it taking 2-3 hours, then go to lunch and we will fix anything we/you find. Amazing, I was expecting them to rush me through.

And yes, we did take 3 hours for the final inspection. Filled tanks, ran everything in every possible configuration we could think of, checked every door, window, blind, fabric, underbelly, even got up on the roof. DW did find a couple of minor fabric repairs needed, and screen door wasn't latching quite right and a few other minor issues.

Then we went down the street for lunch, came back, checked again and we were off.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

certified106
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
One thing to keep in mind- the PDI is supposed to be done by the dealer before delivery, and each OEM actually pays the dealer to perform the PDI. Your rig may well have had issues which the dealer dealt with.
Inspection upon delivery is not strictly a PDI.

I would say that's fine with me if they want to handle it that way as long as it is good to go when I take possession of it. If that theory is true it is even more proof that the dealership you buy from is as important as the manufacturer to a certain respect.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Hypertech Tuner Running Stage 2
2013 Jayco 28BHS

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are on our third (and probably last RV), without any significant problems. Bought all three used: 2006 A Liner, 2008 Pioneer Sprit 22' TT and our 24' Nexus Class C. On the first two the "PDI" was completely on me as we bought from private parties. Both were in "As New" condition with little mileage and we enjoyed 5 years of trouble free use.

Bought the Nexus used(6,205 miles), from La Mesa RV so there was the formal dealer PDI and it went very well. After 20,000 miles in just over a year we are still happy campers. Our cross country trip took us through Elkhart (no accident), and I had the factory add two minor mods (spare tire under coach mount and another set of seat belts), as well as addressing two repairs.

The fuel fill obstruction was corrected no charge (3 hours of labor), despite being 1.5 years out of warranty and not the original owner. The damage incurred after a couple of thousand potholes back east which resulted in several machine screws shearing off was repaired in three hours (at $75 p/hr), and I was charged for just two.

I don't think our experience has been particularly unique. The key to our success was to seek out lightly used, well maintained late model quality RV's. The bonus is the huge amount of money we saved on each upgrade. Actively using and maintaining them contributes to the overall positive experience as well.

There is a lot of junk out there both new and used and the best way is to simply avoid the low end garbage, thoroughly inspect and then just use and enjoy. :C

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Same here. No issues since purchase in 2011. Lots of towing from expressways to logging roads.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to keep in mind- the PDI is supposed to be done by the dealer before delivery, and each OEM actually pays the dealer to perform the PDI. Your rig may well have had issues which the dealer dealt with.
Inspection upon delivery is not strictly a PDI.
-- Chris Bryant

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Our 3 season, entry level, cheap trailer has never had a issue in four seasons and we don't exactly baby it taking it down the ruts and trails that are the back roads of the Rockies.

That fact became part of the discussion when hail damage got it totaled and we could buy it back or start over on a bigger, nicer trailer. In the end a trouble free, paid off trailer was more appealing than taking the risk on a new trailer and making payments even if it would have been more comfy.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
certified106 wrote:
You need to think about how many campers are sold per year and then think about how many complaints you see here. The majority of the people who complain are furious about something and come here to voice their complaints and most of the people who are happy are out camping and having a great time and you never hear from them.

The "sample" of owners on rv.net is extremely limited and, as certified106 explained, a very biased sample.

Perhaps a better view is those you read about with horror stories here are unlucky, unfortunately.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Our last 3 were new. Starcraft 11 years, only a ziper, Rockwood 9 years and only the fridge recall that was fix by an independent repairman. This Rockwood 3 years old about 20,000 miles and we travel in it about 4 months a year. The alarm started chirping and the dealer mailed us a new one. I had a nailed in a tire years ago and plugged it. This trailer got a staple in a tire and I had it patched. Many people have trouble free RVs.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
On second thought, there was one "problem", Mine was involved in the Dometic awning recall. Slipped my mind because I experienced no failure and the repair was performed here in my driveway.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has never been to the dealer for a warranty repair
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Some of our units break right away so that warranty can fix them up.

The rest of them wait until they are out of warranty to break. It is a pre-programmed feature based on a very complicated algorithmic formula that only the manufacturers know.

Wait til your warranty is up and you can be like the rest of us!!

:B:B:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com