cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starcraft, less than 12hrs old and already issues

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the tittle says it all. Picked up our new star craft travel star 239tbs at 2pm and here it is 9pm and I got a list of issues going already. The biggest is the largest window blind fell clean off the window somewhere between the dealer and home. A peice of the skirting flaps in the wind, which a little movement is understandable, but this piece moves so much there is no doubt in my mind it won't last long. Also were part of the couch frame mounts to the wall it is pulling out. Along with those few things there are some minor things such as loose screws and another blind being installed incorrectly. First thing in the AM I will contact the dealer and see what they have to say. Also, and this just seems odd, to switch from the radios indoor speakers to outdoor speakers you need to use the fade control. Anyone else have a system like that? I've only ever seen ones that have a speaker switch, like A,B,C, or something similar, that's not really any issue, just a curiosity question.

Sorry to whine and complain but I just needed to vent, it's a little disheartening spending $20k+ and having Sh!tty craftsmanship like this... The wife is also not very happy with these issues either. Hopefully this isn't an outlook on what to expect.
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)
33 REPLIES 33

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:

In the early 1970's before the Japanese invasion, a midrange new car with some options could be purchased for $3,000 - $4,000. Now that midrange new car will cost you $25,000 - $35,000. How much are you willing to pay for an RV?

You do know that 1972 $4,000 adjusted for inflation would be about $22,000 in today's dollars, right???
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"uglybear11"....I think you're missing an important point when you criticize the industry. Let's take your trailer for example. If you were to sit down and rebuild your identical trailer with the best available parts, finest wood, aluminum frame, high end appliances, custom flooring and highly skilled craftsman, your trailer would cost at least 5-10 times more than what you paid.

Rv's are built at different quality levels. You refuse to pay more for an RV, but demand what the RV five levels above yours offers. It's just a fact of life, you get what you pay for. If a person wants it to fit their budget, well they'll get that level of quality. Do we like that....no.

A prime example. Many go to Harbor Freight because they can buy a tool for 1/10 what SnapOn sells the same tool for. Guess what....that Harbor Freight tool isn't going to last long, again, you got what you paid for.

I also find it funny when people here criticize the American craftsman......you are the American craftsman, even if you don't build trailers. Can you HONESTLY say you produce your BEST product everyday at work? Some days things just don't go as well as others. That's why one guy gets a perfect trailer and one guy gets a sub par trailer. The best we can hope for is that the manufacturer makes it right.

I bought what I could afford, but I know there are 4 levels higher than mine that have better materials, a better chassis, more power and so on. I'm happy with the level I could afford and don't complain about what the higher levels have that I didn't get.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer
I understand how the OP feels. We bought a 2014 Salem 27RKSS and on our very first trip, the entire front lower half of the trailer fell off. And that was only the beginning. After a few conversations with the manufacturer, our trailer was picked up and transported to the factory, (7 hours away) and everything was fixed, including replacing the 2 broken rocking chairs, the front diamond plate, window screens, water heater circuit board, and several broken blinds, the broken air conditioner, broken and missing stabilizer jacks and many other things. The manager in charge of our trailer asked if there was anything we had wanted on our trailer that it didn't come with. Now we have the outside shower, attached BBQ and electronic stabilizer jacks and it was all free. We are very happy with our trailer and especially now with all the improvements. The only thing that is surprising is a window and a window seal that needs to be replaced. When we mentioned it to the dealer to get it fixed. He said no problem, that is actually a recall issue! We wonder why they didn't fix it at the factory if they knew it was a recall. Weird
Anyway, hope you get great service from your dealer and factory representative.
Enjoy your new trailer, eventually.

uglybear11
Explorer
Explorer
i am the one that stated - how dare us accept the poor quality.

the rv makers use******materails ie luan plywood that destructs once wet. why are not good materials used that will withstand issues? it is workmanship, quality, engineering, and managemnet issues.

one writer talked of we have no choice. i do, i have my present trailer. i will care for it until it is used up and never buy another. i will take good care as i already have it and yes i will continue repairs but i will be darned if i ever give more morny based on my present levle of knowledge. no more money for junk. i will continue to write about this to educate noobs. of noobs were truely educated they would also stop buying. with enough missed sales manufacturers will finally see the reality

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Tlauden wrote:
Thanks everyone, I do understand that I can go out there and fix most of these issues myself. Most likely I will do just that. Although the loose skirting will take a little planning to reinforce it properly. The reason i was upset is because of the lack of quality control, from what I've read and what everyone has said most new Rv's, TT's, etc, come off the line and need immediate repairs. IMHO these manufactures need to step up their game a bit.

Why should they? They're making money off what they sell. I saw a video where a CEO type said that 30% of RV buyers are new. They know they have us by the ba!!s, so I really doubt much will ever change.

I really doubt if any of the brands will step up and build what could be called a perfect RV. It would cost too much money. Not enough buyers either. Would you have paid #2-4,000 more knowing it was built better. You can tighten a lot of screws and reinforce fender skirts for $2-4,000. There banking on knowing that most buyers look at these as toys or recreation, and not as an absolute necessity like a house or a car. It's the same with most everything we buy. There's a price cap on what people will pay and as the cost for those goods increases they need to cut back somewhere to stay competitive. Just like that bag of chips you buy. It's not any bigger cause you pay more, it just has less in it.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Tlauden wrote:
DSDP Don wrote:
Sorry your purchase wasn't what you expected, but I don't see the issue here. Your post title, as a 5 day member of the forum, suggested that that the thing self destructed. A blind fell down. Guess what, over the years, other blinds will fall down.....it just happens.

A fender flare is flapping, did you look to see why, maybe a screw was left out/fell out.

The sofa pulled away.....did it pull away 10" or a 1/4"? Tighten it up.

I understand you wanted it to be perfect, but you could have fixed your issues in less time than it took you to write and submit this post. Ten minutes with a screwdriver and you would be sitting at home and thrilled with your new purchase rather than agonizing over a loose part.

Take a few minutes, fix what's broken and then take those tools and put them in a toolbox in the trailer storage. You'll need them later, that's just the life of owning an RV.

Not trying to be harsh, but your trailer certainly isn't a piece of junk, just a new product with a few simple things that need repair. Look it over thoroughly, tighten/fix what you can and save anything major for the dealer.

I realize and understand that everything I listed I can probably fix, but the point is I shouldn't have to, no one should by something brand new and go home with intentions of fixing issues. As to the couch, no amount of tightening will do anything, the bracket will need to be removed and some sort of anchor will need to be put in. As to the fender flare, there is zero reinforcement. It's held on with two tiny screws and moves back and forth a good 6"-8". Maybe a part was missed when the installed or maybe it's designed this way, I don't know though. Either way if it's left like this it will rip off eventually.

I'm sorry if my tittle is mis-leading. I admit, I was a bit upset when I made this post, and sure I may have jumped the gun by posting a thread about such minor issues but isn't this what a forum is for? I have a lot of time in forums with my other hobbies and always find them a great place to talk/vent/discuss everything and anything related to that particular forum.

Don't be discouraged, we've all been there with the "new trailer blues" and we know how frustrating it can be. Just trying to make you feel better.

I own a Starcraft trailer (2013) and yes it had some issues, one problem that couldn't be rectified by local service so we took it directly to Starcraft. I will tell you, Starcraft's warranty and customer service is outstanding, they will not leave you hanging. The 2 year warranty is a bonus, take advantage of it.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you buy an Airstream trailer you can expect problems and the need for a short shakedown trip before making a long vacation or other trip.

I would assume that the factory made mistakes and go through the trailer now before you take it back to the dealer and check plumbing fittings and battery hold downs and everything else both inside and under and around the trailer. I would even check the roof and any seams and be sure they were caulked or bedded properly. Run the furnace and the fridge and the water pump(s) and turn on all the lights, and anything else.

I use to deliver $150,000 sailboats in the 1980's to the Virgin Islands for the charter trade and 100% of the time I needed to make repairs while underway as the broker's people had not checked everything and the buyers had not bothered to do a shake down cruise, which is often the best way to find problems. Instead I would find them 1000 miles from the nearest landfall.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

In the early 1970's before the Japanese invasion, a midrange new car with some options could be purchased for $3,000 - $4,000

Yep, and I was making about 8,000 a year as a Chemist with a BS degree!!

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
To everybody asking or demanding perfection.

IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!

Don't forget, you're towing a wooden box down a bumpy road.
Get some basic tools and learn to use them.

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
Sorry your purchase wasn't what you expected, but I don't see the issue here. Your post title, as a 5 day member of the forum, suggested that that the thing self destructed. A blind fell down. Guess what, over the years, other blinds will fall down.....it just happens.

A fender flare is flapping, did you look to see why, maybe a screw was left out/fell out.

I understand you wanted it to be perfect, but you could have fixed your issues in less time than it took you to write and submit this post. Ten minutes with a screwdriver and you would be sitting at home and thrilled with your new purchase rather than agonizing over a loose part.

Take a few minutes, fix what's broken and then take those tools and put them in a toolbox in the trailer storage. You'll need them later, that's just the life of owning an RV.

Not trying to be harsh, but your trailer certainly isn't a piece of junk, just a new product with a few simple things that need repair. Look it over thoroughly, tighten/fix what you can and save anything major for the dealer.

I realize and understand that everything I listed I can probably fix, but the point is I shouldn't have to, no one should by something brand new and go home with intentions of fixing issues. As to the couch, no amount of tightening will do anything, the bracket will need to be removed and some sort of anchor will need to be put in. As to the fender flare, there is zero reinforcement. It's held on with two tiny screws and moves back and forth a good 6"-8". Maybe a part was missed when the installed or maybe it's designed this way, I don't know though. Either way if it's left like this it will rip off eventually.

I'm sorry if my tittle is mis-leading. I admit, I was a bit upset when I made this post, and sure I may have jumped the gun by posting a thread about such minor issues but isn't this what a forum is for? I have a lot of time in forums with my other hobbies and always find them a great place to talk/vent/discuss everything and anything related to that particular forum.
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)

certified106
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
uglybear11 wrote:
how dare we continue to excuse the poor quality anf poor engineering involved in the majority of campers being built? rv companies do it as they can - cut corners and use inferior materials. i can rmember when cars were made teh same way. then toyoto believed that a car should come to owner without issues and it did. then when the competition could do it the us auto makers decided to follow suit. a car use to last 100,000 miles at best. changes came remember ford changed its ads to say quality is job 1........... jeeze the rv manufacturers and dealers will only change when we demand it. wake up and demand it.

In the early 1970's before the Japanese invasion, a midrange new car with some options could be purchased for $3,000 - $4,000. Now that midrange new car will cost you $25,000 - $35,000. How much are you willing to pay for an RV?

I have had that same thought a few times........ If they actually built them how we want them we would probably complain about the price lol!
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Hypertech Tuner Running Stage 2
2013 Jayco 28BHS

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
uglybear11 wrote:
how dare we continue to excuse the poor quality anf poor engineering involved in the majority of campers being built? rv companies do it as they can - cut corners and use inferior materials. i can rmember when cars were made teh same way. then toyoto believed that a car should come to owner without issues and it did. then when the competition could do it the us auto makers decided to follow suit. a car use to last 100,000 miles at best. changes came remember ford changed its ads to say quality is job 1........... jeeze the rv manufacturers and dealers will only change when we demand it. wake up and demand it.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I'm usually pretty understanding but when I pay good money I expect a good product.
We would not accept such sloppy work in our car, appliances, clothes,etc.
I bought new and had the electric wire going to the hot water heater pinched by the frame that caused a shock when the camper was touched, not acceptable. Had several other issues as well.
Not sure what can be done but we should never settle for less than a good product.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...