cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lost my Doohickey Bar, HELP!!

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so I towed down 3 hours to see family and go to a funeral and overnighted in my nieces back yard. Got myself in a hurry to unhook and set up and I am pretty sure I left the bar laying on the bumper of my truck and then drove away. :S
It is the pry bar Doohickey that you use to lift the sway bar up and onto the bracket that is mounted on the trailer frame. Its about two feet long I guess, and has a half loop on the end for the sway bar to sit in and a "finger" on the end of the bar that you put into the hole on the sway bar bracket. Once you have the sway bar sitting in the loop, and the finger sitting in the bracket you lift upwards and the sway bar "Pops" into place and you put the keeper pin in the hole in the bracket and do the other side.
Well I don't know what the stupid Doohickey Bar Thingy is called so I cant very well search for a replacement.
As I sit here typing this I realize that I don't need the Doohicky Bar Thingy to unhook, just to hook up, so I don't even know why I took it out of the storage bay to begin with. All I know is it AINT there and I need a new one.
I managed to put the sway bars on without it but almost broke myself in the process. HELP!
20 REPLIES 20

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
ScottG wrote:
A piece of 3/4" iron pipe fits.

Not for his. I think his uses this one here:

Snap-up lever

I see camp-n-family already linked one.

Thanks camp-n-family and wnjj! That's exactly what I need! Will order it today!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:

Not for his. I think his uses this one here:

Snap-up lever

I see camp-n-family already linked one.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use just a piece of pipe to life the "weight distribution bars" up to snap into place in the bracket on the trailer tongue. That was before I learned how to do it correctly and let the tongue jack lift the tongue and the rear of the truck so I could just flip up the bracket by hand and put the pin in, then let the trailer down by the tongue jack. Never used anything with the friction sway bar. It just set into place on the little small balls, one on the hitch and one on the trailer tongue. The sway bar had no tension on it until after it was in place. Just try a piece of pipe.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You don't really need the "doohickey bar" (snap up lever). Hook it up, then jack the tongue up. You should be able to jack it enough to easily lift the bars onto the brackets by hand, then lower the tongue jack.

What hitch is it? I think this is what you want.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure exactly what it's called either. Call etrailer they should be able to help.